Will Explorer Impress?

andrew2024

Fellow Cruisers, I'd like to know if you think that Explorer will be a nice cruise to take my parents on this month. They've done a couple of cruises (RCI and Holland America). I've done more than a dozen on RCI, and while they usually are top-tier, I'm concerned about the reviews I've read about Explorer lately.

I am not able to wait until after the refit, and am trying to get a Noreast cruise in this season (before October).

Can anyone calm my fears?

Thank you!

Cruised her in March for the first time....and will be back on her again this Saturday. The ship is not the newest in the fleet, but it is not the oldest. Her crew is OUTSTANDING. The ship is in good condition...yes there is a little rust here and there...it sails from NJ 12 months a year...its going to show some wear and tear (don't we all).

If the Explorer was staying in Bayonne, I would sail her as often as I could. Don't hesitate taking your parents. If you LOOK for defects, you will find them. If you go on a cruise to have a GOOD TIME, you will have that on the Explorer without a doubt.

We had a wonderful time. Remember the ship being older is all about perspective. Does it need the carpet replaced and the glass deep cleaned? Yes. Is that going to ruin your enjoyment of the food and people and amenities? Only if you're the type to get snooty about things not being brand spanking new.

Thank you scooter90, clarea, ERIE 13, PuterMonkey and Life is Good Cruising.

Here is another thread that may be useful: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2093948

Thank you for settling my fears. This is a special trip for me (I know, for lots of folks).

Great advice - I will look first to have a great time. For me it's all about the people (staff and passengers), so I'm going be the kind of passenger / fellow-traveler that I hope to meet.

Happy sailing everyone!