Has anyone been to Tropicante?

Kellyfkrc

Getting back to the ship was no problem.

Take a taxi to Tropicante. We were there a few days after Christmas. There was not sign from the road at that time-I don't know if that has changed. The sign faces the beach. At the time, many people from several different bars/restaurants told us they were Tropicante. Make sure you find Steve and the real Tropicante. Very easy to do, but just be aware. Steve or 1 of his employees will set you up in chairs and bring you a menu. They will wait on you all day long. And they have a very nice bathroom! I'm going to say at most it is 10 or so minutes in a taxi. Steve will make sure you are back to the ship in plenty of time. Have fun!

I will be spending my second Christmas day at Tropicante (third time there) our family loves, loves, loves this place. Steve and his staff are wonderful. Depending on when you are going make sure you reserve your loungers in advance (no cost to reserve), he books up fast.

Edited by reno3

From what I remember, no charge for the chairs-just use his bar/restaurant for eating and drinking. You will also be provided with tables and an umbrella if needed. As for the taxi...Steve will send you all of the information you need.

This is a cut and paste of what I received from him last year:

As for how to find us, there are inside shuttles and outside taxis, both will drop you at the same location. Inside shuttles are operated by the port and are the easiest, but they take longer and cost more. They charge $3 per person but you often have to wait a few minutes for the bus to leave, and they have 2 stops before us, so it takes maybe 10-15 minutes longer if you use the shuttles. The outside taxis are much faster, no wait and they will of course drive you straight to our place, and they are only $2 per person. You have to leave the port area and walk about 100 yards to the outside taxi stand though if want to take a taxi. The port staff will try every trick in the book to keep you inside in their shuttles so get ready. If anyone ask, just say you are looking for the exit, and not a taxi, or they will start the show! Here is the easy way to get to the taxis quickly and miss most of the “hard sell” area. When you walk into the commercial area from the pier, look up and to the right and you'll see a tower with a set of stairs going up to it and an opening on the side. Go through that opening and you will emerge outside in the bus area, missing all the aggressive vendors. Turn left and follow the chain link fence to the exit. You'll see the taxi stand 100 yards away across from the Diamonds International store that is outside the port’s gate.

If by chance you want to go through the commercial area and do get herded onto one of their shuttles, take stop number 3, which is right behind our place. This also the same place a taxi will drop you. Just walk toward the ocean, about 50 feet, and turn left and we are the second place. My sign is large and we are right in the middle of it, so you will find us pretty quick when you walk along the malecon. In 50 feet, you might hear we have moved, shut down, Steve was kicked out of the country for beating up Santa or is even dead. Just laugh it off and keep going. Some of the locals are a little tricky, but seldom unfriendly, so no worry, you have no safety concerns in Mahahual either. We are a very small and friendly town where we all know one another. That name, Mahahual, means "Mayberry" in Mayan!

As long as you have a reservation you will be all set. Enjoy!

I was there last week. Taxis are $2.00 if you go through the security guards and get them on the street. In the port area the cost is more and will make more than one stop.

The Tropicante is nice. Food costs a little more than places around it.

Less of a party atmosphere. Comfortable chairs and good service.

Bathrooms are clean!