Bug Bites at Altun Ha ruins

bcgrad98

We just returned from the Christmas cruise on the NCL Dawn. We opted to take the excursion to Altun Ha. It was a great excursion except for the bug bites we ended up with. At first we were told we wouldn't need bug spray because the mosquitos don't like the bright sun. Then the other guide said something about the little flies. We didn't see a single mosquito, but before we could get our bug spray on, we got bit up pretty good. You couldn't feel them bite. You'd just notice spots of blood on your arm or leg.

The bites got a whitish ring around them with a red outline. From there, they have done different things for each member of our family. They didn't itch until the next day, but these bites are torturous! We're more than a week past our visit to the site and I'm still itching like crazy!

If you're planning a visit to Altun Ha, be sure to wear bug spray. I don't know if it will help or not, but it's worth a try.

Does anyone know what the flies are? Nothing I've found in my research has matched up with our experience. They're small black bugs but definitely visible. Unless I saw something other than the actual culprit. I'm also curious if there's any relief to the itchiness from them. Tips anyone?

• 1 month later...

DH and I will be heading there in a few weeks. Were told the only repellent that works on those mysterious "no-see-ums", and sand flies, is Watkins 30% Deet-(And that's not from a Watkins dealer, trying to sell to us). We've loaded up on it-both the spray,and the lotion. Sure hope it does the trick!