Help us choose! 2 adults which cruise?

Cashe

Ok so I'm planning my second disney cruise and I'm still waiting to go on my first lol.

Anyway, here's the scenario:

Me(35) SIL(28) both moms to 6 year old girls but we aren't taking them.

Her bday is February 3 and mine is jan 31. Looking at a sail date of jan 2016 or February 2016. Either a 4 day or 5 day.

1. Cozumel or grand cayman? She is going to Nassau next week on a cruise and we will I will be doing the 4 day dream in May to Nassau and CC. The other itinerary would be key west, Nassau and CC.

2. Book direct with DCL or TA? She is a Florida resident, if we chose to book through a TA could the rate be changed to FLR rate if offered later on? Or if something comes up, can we move our sail date as easily via a TA as through DCL?

3. We are trying to stay under $650 pp. so I wanted to book soon in case rates go up.

4. Looks like my only affordable option will be on the magic. Does anyone have a stateroom rec?

Any other advice would be greatly appreciated!

No brainer here, Grand Cayman is a much nicer port. See either Stingray City or the turtle farm or both. Easy to combine a 1/2 day snorkel/Stingray City with some beach time if you wish. There are many great tour operators. We've booked thru Captain Marvin's many times. Very ethical company. If ship can't tender for any reason, you are not charged. They take a credit card number at booking but only charge is you are a no show and don't cancel.

I always book thru my amazing TA located in Jacksonville. I get a nice onboard credit and super service....and I live in Kentucky. They work on line or over the phone. If a FL res rate comes out, not only will you be able to get it, they would track any discounts for you and nail them if available.

We LOVE 5 aft on the Magic because there is no reason for anyone not staying there to be there. However, the adult areas are located in the forward part of the ship. My guess is that 5 forward would be the same situation, but I've never stayed there. BUT, I'm the person who finds something good about each cabin location I've had...and sometimes something bad.

My husband and I will be going on our 25th DCL cruise in May on the Wonder - Panama Canal. As to your first question, after both of you cruise this year, it may help your decision on an itinerary. If I were to choose, I'd pick the Key West itinerary. I love touring that area. Lots of things to do besides bar hopping! No matter which itinerary you choose, you will have a fun cruise. We seldom get off the ship at Nassau. We enjoy the empty ship on port days if we choose to stay aboard.

With your friend being a Florida resident, those rates are sometimes offered after most paid in full cruises -- usually 75 to 90 days out. I assume you are not a Florida resident so you will not be able to get that discount. I have read that once booked and a discount rate becomes available and you want that rate, DCL has adjusted the cruise fare and I've also read where you would have to cancel your existing cruise, incur the penalty for canceling, and re-book. This could result in a higher fare for you and/or lose the stateroom you originally booked. We booked a 5 day cruise on a November 2014 sailing about 5 weeks before sailing using DCL's *GT rates. These are restricted rates sometimes offered post paid in full date - you choose the type of cabin being offered on that cruise but you do not have a choice of stateroom. DCL chooses and once you find out the stateroom assignment, you will not be able to modify it. We chose a restricted inside cabin and we were on deck 7 midship.

When you are on your DCL cruise this year, stop by the cruise reservation desk early in the cruise. There are incentives to booking on board and they vary depending on length of cruise. I believe the deposit required is 10% of the fare. If you decide to move your reservation to a TA, you have to do that within 30 days after booking. I have used a TA for some cruises, but I prefer keeping control of my reservation. It is a personal choice. Suggestion: check the daily Navigator for times that the reservation desk is open. I try to arrive a few minutes before the start time as there may be many others in line.

Keeping within your budget of $650 pp is doable on the Magic and Wonder.

As for stateroom recommendations, we haven't had a stateroom we didn't like! I'm just happy being on board. Keep in mind that the beds on all ships as of this April do not split into twin beds. I have slept on the futon which I have found to be comfortable.

Around your paid in full date and after that, check the DCL website for their special offers found at the bottom of the main page. Florida rates will be listed among other offers, such as military and Canadian rate discounts.

Whatever you decide you will have a great girls' getaway!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The FL res discount is per cabin with the requirement that ONE person in the cabin submit the ID to DCL within 48 hours of the booking to get the rate. So both people in the cabin will get the discount if one qualifies.

The FL resident rate is one of the very few that can be applied retroactively. No need to cancel, incur penalty, and rebook. All that is needed is that you/your TA contact DCL and send in the appropriate ID (by fax, e-mail, or whatever) and the code will be applied. The difference is that the FLR is handled by a discount code on a booking while most specials are a "new booking only" situation.

As to a booking on board being transferred to a TA...yes, you have 30 days after booking to do this. However, if you book thru the TA originally, they get their full commission and can maximize any perks they offer. If you transfer later, they get only 60% of the standard commission. While some agencies still give their standard perks, other agencies reduce the perks to compensate for the reduced commission.

Hint--if even hoping for the FLR, have your friend shoot a photo of her driver's license or other ID and e-mail it to herself (or the TA). That way, everything is ready to go when the rate comes out--she just forwards the document to DCL. OK, I'm ancient, but if I didn't do this, I'd have to run around to remember how to interface the camera and the computer, etc. at the last minute. Forwarding an e-mail...yup, I'm good at that. And with my permission, my TA keeps a copy of my appropriate documents in their file. That way, if a passport number or ID is needed by the cruise line(s), they can take care of the whole thing for me!

Edited by moki'smommy