Beaches near Speightstown

Glyn1947

In January we will be visiting Barbados for the first time and we intend to catch a bus from Bridgetown to the Speightstown area and sunbathe on a beach for a few hours and then go to St Nicholas Abbey for a tour and a bite to eat and then finally go back to the ship (Ventura). It would be great if I could have help with some or all of the following:

1. Which beach near Speightstown is recommended?

2. We would like to catch a bus from Bridgetown to the beach. How feasible is this?

3. Can we get a bus from the beach to St Nicholas Abbey? Or should we take a taxi?

4. How long should we allow to get back to the boat from St Nicholas Abbey?

could we use a bus or do we need to take a taxi?

Thank you in advance for any help.

Philip

Hi Glyn! First of all, as a Barbadian I can say, that you are filling too much into your day. If you are on a cruise and only on the Island for one day, you will not, I repeat Not be able to do These things in one day and also not with the Transport System on Barbados. Yes there is a bus Station near the terminal (10 - 15 minutes walk) but they do not have a real schedule (even though printed) like in the US or UK. The roads are much worse, also. I would advise you to take a taxi to St. Nicholas Abbey and on the way visit the sights that your Driver Shows you. Later you can go to a beach (the Boatyard is "near" the cruise terminal).

Yes there are busses going to Speightstown. But Mullins would be better due to Restaurants and such. In and above Speightstown, there are no Beaches with facilities. If you want to go to Speightstown - the go to Jumas Restaurant. There you can use the Lounges when you eat and drink at the Restaurant.

No good busses for you to Nicholas Abbey

Edited by muskatnuss

Glad to help. It is your first time to Barbados, and just one day. I know, everyone says," who knows if I will ever come back." But unfortunately, you can't see or do everything. And Barbados is very laid back. I am still thankful to God for that. From the Cruise Terminal you can get a taxi (diagonally to the right, when you leave the Terminal). Tell the Concierge what you would like to do. OK, they do suggest fixed tours. But say you want 1/2 day or something like that. How Long are you in port??? That is a very important factor.

Enjoy!!!