Naples and Messina Excursions

CrankySailor

Hi. Wondering if anyone has taken an excursion to Pompeii with Viking (or any other lines), and if you have thoughts on whether it's worth the time. If I take the excursion, it cuts my time in Naples by 4 hours...and I am only there for 8 hours total (which is really like 7 hours when you figure getting off/back on ship), and seems like you can easily fill a day in Naples (eating pizza!). Have always wanted to go to Pompeii, so leaning towards going.

Messina - has anyone gone to Taormina on their own (without an excursion)? Seems easy enough to get there from Messina (90 minute bus ride)? Seems like a great place to go for views of Mt Etna - and have heard great things abiut it, in general. In Messina for 10 hours.

Thx.

You can see my review of Pompeii and Herculaeum on this thread.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2286418

It is definitely a trade off in terms of what to do with your 7 hours in port. As I mention in the review, this is NOT one of those ports where you can easily walk to town from the ship.

Hope the review helps.

I have been to both Pompeii and Naples. I really liked Naples and I tell my wife that my primary goal on the Mediterranean Getaway Cruise I am on in January is to eat pizza again in Naples. It is a vibrant city and I enjoyed visiting the Naples National Archaeological Museum and walking around the City. However, it is not unique and pales in comparison to a visit to Pompeii. Pompeii is a World Wonder and is one of the most interesting places I have ever been to in my life. If I had to choose between the two, Pompeii wins hands down. On the same day of the cruise (if you are on the same itinerary as I am) you have the option of going to Herculaneum instead which is also well worth the trip for someone who has already been to Pompeii (for the same $69.00) but I would chose Pompeii.

We opted for the Enchanting Taormina tour from Messina (it is also $69.00) When I was a bit younger I might have opted to do it on my own but I want to avoid the stress of missing the departure of the ship.

• 4 weeks later...

On the Viking tour to Herculaneum you do not get any free time in Naples while on the tour. You get on the bus at the dock, go to Herculaneum, tour the site, get back on the bus and get taken back to the dock. The bus skirts around Naples itself. HOWEVER, it's a half-day excursion, so once back at the dock, you could get yourself into town and have a half day (or a bit less with all the transport back and forth) in Naples proper.

• 2 weeks later...

From a Princess cruise we used Joe Bananas limo for a private tour of Naples, Amalfi coast and Pompeii, highly recommend this option. You dictate how much time in each area and their expertise gets you there and back on time! Private tour in Pompeii was great!