AOS Southern: Where to Snorkel?

Bongo

Hi,

I'll be crusing on AOS next week and I was looking for recommendations on what would be the best island to go snorkeling? We'll probably only be snorkeling once during the trip and I want to make sure to pick the best island. Any suggestions?

We're on the sourthern itinerary (St. Thomas, St. Maarten, St. John/Antigua, St. Lucia & Barbados).

Thanks!

Pam

On St John's Virgin Islands there is a National Park (underwater coral). You can get there either by a tour off the ship or take a Cab to Red Hook (other end of St Thomas) then a short ferry boat and then a Cab on St John to Trunk Bay which is where the coral reef is. The underwater markings are clear and there is a park staff there in the water and on the land. You will be required to wear a swim vest but they are available at the park or supplied by a tour or rent them etc.

Hi,

I'll be crusing on AOS next week and I was looking for recommendations on what would be the best island to go snorkeling? We'll probably only be snorkeling once during the trip and I want to make sure to pick the best island. Any suggestions?

We're on the sourthern itinerary (St. Thomas, St. Maarten, St. John/Antigua, St. Lucia & Barbados).

Thanks!

Pam

We've snorkeled on all of these islands. I'm guessing that if you're only planning on snorkeling on one island, you don't carry your own gear and will need locations with rental facilities.

For St. Thomas, your best bet would be to go to St. John for the day. Terrific snorkeling at Cinammon Bay, with full facilities. Superb at Waterlemon, but no facilities. Trunk Bay has facilities.

St Maarten, we haven't found any decent snorkeling there; if you're only going to snorkel on one island, I wouldn't make it that one.

Antigua, Eli's EcoTour has a great snorkeling spot, combined with a great day of varied activities (http://www.adventureantigua.com). Eli provides equipment.

St. Lucia, there's really good snorkeling at Anse Cochon. You could probably make arrangements with Ti Kaye Village (Google it), a resort at Anse Cochon. Check our report of our day there on the St. Lucia ports of call boards. The web-site is listed there, too. If you're there as a guest of the resort, you can use their snorkel gear.

Barbados, the best snorkeling is at Folkstone, and they have rental facilities.

Have a great trip!

St. Thomas has many different options for snorkeling that we have enjoyed independantly (coki beach, sapphire beach, and trunk bay). St. Luica also has great snorkleing and diving but because of distance from the dock and unreliable independant operators, I would recommend a tour though your ship. Barbados has great beach entry snorkeling at Folkestone Park, easy to get to by cab.

You can get lots more info on the ports of call boards for those islands here at CC.

Archived