RCI - Ovation of the Seas - 10th May - Barcelona - Dubai

saffikins

Hello to everyone who has also been posting recently :)! It really is getting within spitting distance now...bring it on!

You succumbed then Karen...and for the Ultimate package I deduce...we just went for the Premium as just use the coffee machine in the Diamond/Concierge lounges in the mornings and never could tell the difference between the "standard" bottled water you can get on the Premium package compared to the Evian on the Ultimate. Water is water to me, especially when we primarily use it to ensure we don't go to bed too tipsy ;).

Re your question about online check in. I think the change they made was to do with adding the photo during the process. Some people checked in a long time ago and they hadn't sorted it for the online photo process so believe they have emailed everyone to make sure we all do it.

Also, did you notice that they talk about the need to bring along visa for Dubai, which is wrong information for us Brits as we can get a visa on arrival.

As we are up to 13 now I thought I would compile a little list of who we are and where we are from....we have a good mix of nationalities if not genders ...lol

Saffikins - Karen (me) & Antoinette (Irish but living in the UK)

Jmallmann - Michael & Partner? (German)

PauliePaul - Paul & Jack. (UK)

DenvCruiser - Greg & 3 others (1 UK, 1 Canadian, 2 US)

Mike2611 - Mike (Canadian)

DPA - David & Matthew (Australian but living in Canada)

Actually, I take it back about a good mix as Canada seems to feature strongly [emoji2]

Looking forward to meeting you all onboard

Karen

As we are up to 13 now I thought I would compile a little list of who we are and where we are from....we have a good mix of nationalities if not genders ...lol

Saffikins - Karen (me) & Antoinette (Irish but living in the UK)

Jmallmann - Michael & Partner? (German)

PauliePaul - Paul & Jack. (UK)

DenvCruiser - Greg & 3 others (1 UK, 1 Canadian, 2 US)

Mike2611 - Mike (Canadian)

DPA - David & Matthew (Australian but living in Canada)

Actually, I take it back about a good mix as Canada seems to feature strongly [emoji2]

Looking forward to meeting you all onboard

Karen

Thanks for doing this Karen!

We also have two friends joining us on this second leg but aren't on here. Andy and his nephew (not gay!) Chris.

Guessing most of us will be at least Diamond and using the lounge (and likely Music Hall spill out as they did on Quantum both times we were on)?

Hello to everyone who has also been posting recently :)! It really is getting within spitting distance now...bring it on!

You succumbed then Karen...and for the Ultimate package I deduce...we just went for the Premium as just use the coffee machine in the Diamond/Concierge lounges in the mornings and never could tell the difference between the "standard" bottled water you can get on the Premium package compared to the Evian on the Ultimate. Water is water to me, especially when we primarily use it to ensure we don't go to bed too tipsy ;).

Re your question about online check in. I think the change they made was to do with adding the photo during the process. Some people checked in a long time ago and they hadn't sorted it for the online photo process so believe they have emailed everyone to make sure we all do it.

Also, did you notice that they talk about the need to bring along visa for Dubai, which is wrong information for us Brits as we can get a visa on arrival.

No we went premium in the end....lol, I had the Ultimate in the basket when I remembered about the coffee in the lounge

I did notice the change re adding a photo, so I did that, but we haven't been allocated a check in time as yet.

It's not like RCI to get information wrong, in fact there is a post on another thread about which nationalities don't need a Visa in advance, I had already checked anyway and knew that us Irish were also exempt [emoji6]

Also read that they will keep passports at check in and that you should bring a photocopy, I think that's to arrange the visas for Jordan and that we get them back before reaching Dubai....lots of hints and tips on cruise critic!

Hey John and Wayne, and Tom and Vinni!! Welcome to our quite busy roll call for this journey, which is nice!

Re formal wear, if you want to eat in The Grande restaurant then you will have to have a jacket with you. Up to you whether it is a formal dinner jacket or just a suit jacket (or sports jacket as Americans call them!) as they will let you in with either. Have seen a good mix of people in The Grande in full formal dinner jacket and bowtie through to slightly more casual shirt and jacket.

Jack and I will be bringing both so we have options for the length of time we are on board.

There is likely to be a "Dress your Best" style night to appease those traditionalists who were not happy about the Quantum class having no official formal nights. My guess this will be on the second night at the very least with it being the Captain's welcome aboard party.

Don't worry about not being Diamond Tom and Vinni, reckon there is potential for quite a nice gathering of LGBT folk onboard and plenty of bars for us all to get together. We love the Robo bar, even though the drinks are in plastic cups, and is fun renaming your own drinks on the screen ;).

Really excited for this one. Love it when a good group of people form on a cruise. Have made some amazing friends through cruising....of the sea variety I might add ;)!

Hi Everone

John & Wayne here..(Cowboys)

Really thankful for all you tips etc..re our upcoming cruise.

We join the Barcelona to Dubai leg.

It's our second time with RCL.

Re Formal wear..would you advise to bring it?

Hi and welcome

Where are you guys from? Please don't say Texas, that would be too funny.... Lol

I think Paul answered questions re formal nights

There are others on the roll call who are not Diamond level either, just , will have an excuse to try out other bars too

Edited by saffikins

Anybody else excited by the fact that the ship has been handed over to RCI today and that she will be arriving in Southampton soon, where rumour has it that the animal will be getting onboard?

Wish it was May already [emoji2]

Anybody else excited by the fact that the ship has been handed over to RCI today and that she will be arriving in Southampton soon, where rumour has it that the animal will be getting onboard?

Wish it was May already [emoji2]

Hey Karen and others!

I saw the Tweet about something being added in Southampton...seems to be from a fairly reliable source (an official cruise news reporter who was at the handing over ceremony and has been quoted by Royal in the past) so fingers crossed. Love how art get people on both sides of the coin talking about it :)!

I saw the live tweet from Nick Weir with the handover handshake...she will be underway to Southampton very soon now. Will be so close to Southampton tomorrow but have to get to Gatwick airport Sunday morning otherwise would have popped down and watch her sail in for the first time.

Eeek....excited...me...never ;). Thankfully we have one week less to wait...eeek!

No at all envious Paul, that you have to wait a week less than the rest of us.... Grrrr

In the meantime.......

I saw this and thought it might be fun to watch tomorrow (hope the link works)

funny - cruising on the ovation with pandas... only knew that you could bring your dog on the Queen Mary....

Counting the days... can not wait...

Will there be a LGBT meeting on board? ...or will we just have an inofficial one at the diamonds lounge...? but not all could take part there which would be sad.....

funny - cruising on the ovation with pandas... only knew that you could bring your dog on the Queen Mary....

Counting the days... can not wait...

Will there be a LGBT meeting on board? ...or will we just have an inofficial one at the diamonds lounge...? but not all could take part there which would be sad.....

Yes, definitely some photo opportunities to be had.

I'm not sure if there will be an official LGBT meet on board as sometimes they do not advertise one, but perhaps as a starting point we could get together in Diamond lounge and then consider meeting at other venues so that others can join in too .

Open to suggestions anyone wants to make about time/ places to meet etc

Karen

The Pandas are just too cute. Well chosen animal...worth the wait and anticipation!

I think the Diamond Lounge is going to be super busy on this one so guess they will spill over into the Music Hall as has been the case on previous Quantum class cruises. You are right though that those who aren't are penalised. The Pool Bar in the indoor pool is always a nice space in the evening, which is usually underused. We all met there on Quantum and the Pool Bar staff loved it as they used to get so bored in the evenings! Or Michaels Genuine Pub is good as has lots of seating together, or Boleros of course as it has the big area around the back area of the bar with funky seating. Choices choices!

Will try and speak with the Cruise Director staff on the Southampton to Barcelona leg to see if something can be put into the Cruise Compass for the 16 nighter. They usually do if you speak nicely to them :).

Just days away really!!!!

The Pandas are just too cute. Well chosen animal...worth the wait and anticipation!

I think the Diamond Lounge is going to be super busy on this one so guess they will spill over into the Music Hall as has been the case on previous Quantum class cruises. You are right though that those who aren't are penalised. The Pool Bar in the indoor pool is always a nice space in the evening, which is usually underused. We all met there on Quantum and the Pool Bar staff loved it as they used to get so bored in the evenings! Or Michaels Genuine Pub is good as has lots of seating together, or Boleros of course as it has the big area around the back area of the bar with funky seating. Choices choices!

Will try and speak with the Cruise Director staff on the Southampton to Barcelona leg to see if something can be put into the Cruise Compass for the 16 nighter. They usually do if you speak nicely to them :).

Just days away really!!!!

I think you have just volunteered to organise us all on the Barcelona to Dubai leg, lol

Would be cool to meet up, I imagine there will be other 'family' on the 7 day trip who will also be staying on for this leg, so can we leave it up to you to either speak to cruise director/ staff or put a notice on the notice board, I was thinking maybe afternoon meet up on the first sea day as evening meet ups usually conflict with dinner arrangements and everyone will be busy getting organised on the first night, but happy to go with the flow

The late sail away should be fun, i haven't done a night time one before so am looking forward to that... 3 weeks to go! [emoji2]

It's gone very quiet in here....Must all be busy packing and getting ready to go on Cruises! Lol

Sorry for the quietness! Too busy working hard so I can take the month off...cannot believe it has creeped up soo fast! Exciting :D. Still so much work to do though.

We are meeting in Vintages for the first leg of the cruise for the LGBT get together so will see how that works out. Worried it might be a little bit too quiet though...we shall see :).