Kilauea Volcano Bike Adventure (Princess)

splitpeaz

I am thinking about doing the ''Kilauea Volcano Bike Adventure'' tour with Princess Cruises in May.

Has anyone done this tour and if so, what did they think of it?

I want to spend as much time as possible at the park while I am there, other tours (princess and non-princess) seem to stop there for a very short time. The other tour Im considering is the ''Crater Hike & Hilo Waterfalls'' (with Princess) Any recommendations on either?

We haven't done the bike tour, but we've hiked Kilauea Iki trail (which is the one that you'd be doing in the Crater Hike & Waterfalls tour)

I thought it was a spectacular hike - first a hike along the forested rim of the crater, with views down into the 400 ft. deep lava bed - then down into the crater and a walk along the length of it. link with more info.

Some of the same stops are included on both tours - on the bike ride you'd probably get a view from the scenic overlook into the crater. The hike would be more strenuous of an activity - re the description: "This is an activity for avid hikers who can maintain a good pace along rugged terrain and climb steep switchbacks for four miles. " Note that you're not climbing steep switchbacks for 4 miles ... the hike in total is 4 miles, and the switchbacks aren't that steep from what I recall, although you'll be glad when you're back at the top! ... also, when they say 'good pace' - it will be an average pace, and you'll likely stop for explanations from the ranger along the way...so a chance to catch your breath if you need to.

Also, I note that in the overview of the hike tour, it mentions Akaka Falls, but in the description it just mentions two falls that are in Hilo - so I wouldn't count on seeing Akaka Falls.