My very quick getaway on the Getaway!

live2vayk

Because the Getaway was out of commission for a bit for the Olympics, there was a very quick two night cruise offered once it returned to the US. I noticed it several months back and jumped at the chance to try this class of ship with NCL. Since it was such a quick cruise, I booked and inside GTY knowing we wouldn't be in the cabin much. My husband didn't want to go, and my kids both just started back to school, so I called up a friend and we booked.

I took several pictures and will attempt to post some as I go!

20160902_144124_zpsvokvnh9l.jpg

Sometimes, not always.

We booked, as I always do, our flight for the day before. Sometimes I will book two days before. This time for work reasons we just did the day before. We were set to get to FL on Thursday, for a Friday sail away. Well, we didn't make it on Thursday. For reasons unrelated to Hermine, our very first flight was delayed out of VT. Ironic since I was more worried about the second leg and Hermine. Our gate attendants said the flight delay we had was not related to the hurricane. We did finally make it out, but we were so delayed we missed our connection in Laguardia. There was nothing going out that night, so we ended up staying at the Airport Inn near the airport, and we rebooked on a flight for the next morning.

Sometime in the middle of the night, my text notification went off, and yup, sure enough, that flight was delayed. This time probably due to Hermine, I never did confirm that. We were flying into FLL and planned on taking a shuttle to MIA. For us, for reasons I can't explain, it is usually less expensive by a lot to fly into FLL and shuttle over to MIA. So, I got on the phone, called the airline for rebook options and to my delight, we were able to be rebooked on a flight directly to MIA at no extra cost, at a better time than the first one we had rebooked. YAY! Now, just to get on that plane... at this point I am feeling very determined not to miss this short cruise!!

We arrived at the airport, all was a go and our flight was on! We landed in MIA around 10 am. I had already cancelled our shuttle from FLL, but had no plans on how we would get from MIA to the port. I figured we would just take a taxi. We ended up having to check our bags as the over head bins were full, so we had to go to baggage claim. Low and behold, there were NCL reps right near our baggage claim. I told them we didn't yet have transportation to the port arranged and they said for $16.00 each they had a bus leaving in about 15 minutes. SOLD! So we boarded the bus. I kid you not, there were a total of 4 of us on this bus. It was a huge charter bus and it carried 4 of us to the port. At this point, I was just so happy to be on our way to the port!!

Our check in was uneventful. We were in the waiting area to board by about 11:15. I was hopeful that since there were no passengers (I don't believe anyhow) disembarking that morning that we would be able to get on quickly. Not the case. We didn't end up boarding until about 12:15. BUT, once we boarded we were able to go right to our cabin. We ended up with an inside on deck 12 forward. The cabin was cozy. No sitting area. We had a small ottoman that could be used for storage or a seat. The beds were seperated as I requested. We had a fridge with a mini bar, the closet was decent size and the bathroom was actually very well done I thought. The shower was plenty big enough with a shower head that could be removed, glass shower door, and even a little bar to put your foot on to shave. Big plus. There was plenty of storage under the sink.

20160902_151449_zpsgsjntszs.jpg

I can fit in a few more posts before I have to run out again for a minute...

The TV on the wall in the room was well positioned on the wall in front of the beds. We really were not in the cabin much, but I did surf the channels a bit, not many channels. A couple news stations, and a couple other channels, then other than ship advertisements/information, there just wasn't much to choose from. There was a kids movie station. Of course you can also check the TV for your on board account, and a few other things.

20160902_151609_zpsmpnfwvp7.jpg

Edited by live2vayk

We did not have a meal we did not enjoy on this voyage. It varied from good, to excellent. After we got settled in our room, we headed out to find lunch. We ate our first meal in the MDR. I don't recall if it was Taste or Savor, but they are right across from each other and have the same menu. I think it would be all one big dining room except that they are on either side of the ship mid ship, so there is a walkway with a bar in between.

Here was the menu:

20160902_124205_zps6f4rakrf.jpg

And the dining room....

20160902_124218_zps8erf8zw4.jpg

Enjoying your review. I would have been freaking out with the flight delays/cancelled flights.

I was a bit! We knew we were going to miss our second leg before our first ever left, but I also knew we stood a much better chance of getting to FL on time out of Laguardia than Vermont, so we took the first leg and spent the night near that airport. I was very happy to make it to MIA!

So while this was a VERY quick trip, I feel like it is worth mentioning that we never felt the need to go to a "fee" restaurant. There were enough complimentary places to keep us happy. On the first day, we ate lunch at what I refer to as the MDR. They call it either Taste or Savor, depending on what side you go into. They also serve breakfast and dinner at these places of course. For dinner the first night we went to O'Sheehans bar and grill. We had prime rib, and it was EXCELLENT! Perfectly cooked, and a very large portion which I should not have eaten all of but I did... I really liked O'Sheehans. It was laid back, had a bar/pub ish menu, and good food. It was located at the top floor of the atrium area, so the bar area was on one side, and their was also a restaurant area on the other side, it all kind of wound around. You could order food at the bar which I did once too.

20160902_140107_zpsyzwf9dd5.jpg

The bar side:

20160902_140148_zpsg66727kd.jpg

Restaurant area:

20160902_140134_zpslisvbkea.jpg

The first night we attended a show called "The Million Dollar Quartet". It was excellent. I will say this, this is only my second NCL cruise out of like 13 or so cruises I have done. NCL shows are far better IMO than other cruise lines.

Entrance to the theater:

20160902_140043_zpsnkowq4by.jpg

So this cruise originally was going to stop at a private island. But they changed the itin, and the stop became Nassau. I enjoy Nassau, but have been there several times and this trip was really about the ship. So, we did not get off the ship. My friend and I had done some reading on cruise critic, and we knew about the Vibe beach club. We knew it was an extra charge, but that it was adults only, had nice lounge chairs, it's own bar area and hot tubs, and they provided fresh water and fruit throughout the day. We got in line at guest services to find out what the price/package would be for this short cruise. It was $25.00 per day. So we bought a one day pass for Saturday. Best money spent on this cruise. We had that place to OURSELVES! Seriously, we kept waiting for it to get busy, it NEVER did! A few others came and went, but the place must hold about 75 people. The most that was ever there on Saturday was 14! It was wonderful. The weather was beautiful, and it was peaceful and just perfect. Here are pictures of the vibe area. Which if you are not traveling with children I HIGHLY recommend:

20160903_094244_zpsjpfpfihq.jpg

20160903_091458_zpsynjsruqs.jpg

20160903_091442_zpsomzfugis.jpg

Thanks so much for posting this review! We cruise on the Getaway in a few weeks and it's great to see it before we leave! :)

Glad you are enjoying it!! I really loved the Getaway. I am looking at a 7 or 8 night cruise to bring the family on over February break. I am thinking it will be an away class ship if I can work it all out.

I will post more of the pictures tomorrow night, and my final thoughts on some things.

Enjoy your trip!