Eva’s NCL Getaway Western Caribbean Pictorial Review 12/4-12/11

goeva

Day 6 Cozumel, Mexico

We had made advance booking for the dolphin swim. We took a taxi to Chankanaab. We watched the sea lion show before the dolphin swim and had a manatee encounter after.

We were partnered with a nice couple from Florida for our swim so there were 6 people in our group. The instructor explained to us that the male dolphin’s name was Jupiter and that he was the alpha male of all the dolphins and chose the female partner that he wanted to work with. You could tell it was more than just a job for the instructors. We kissed, hugged, and swam with the dolphin. It was a very special experience. The lunch buffet was included with the price and was pretty good, although it was a small buffet. There had Photo CD for purchase after the dolphin swim, it was $70 each person or $60 each for 4 people.

The beach area was gorgeous, but not much of a beach, it was great for snorkeling. Plenty of chairs and umbrellas for everyone. They also have rental equipment available. I think it was $10pp for the mask, snorkel, and fins. $5 for the snorkel vest. We brought our own gear for snorkeling but Katy wanted to get her hair braided so we stayed in the family area afterwards instead. Water was more shallow compare to the snorkel side but there were still many fishes around and sea urchins near the rocks.

On the day we were that, a man got a nasty cut on his feet. I offered him a large gauze pad to cover up the wound while his son went to first aid area to seek help. I recommend some type of water shoes or snorkel socks due to the sharp rocks and corals.

After we return to the ship we had dinner at La Cucina. For the main course, kids had beef lasagna and rigatoni with beef meatballs. They didn’t like it very much. Tim and I had shrimp fettuccine with spicy tomato sauce. I think it’s called Scampi Fra Diavolo. The sauce was thick, rich and flavorful. We both enjoyed the dish. I don’t remember what the kids ordered for dessert, but I had the Tiramisu and did not like it. Tiramisu is one of my favorite dessert so I was really disappointed.

Michael and I went to get our face painted for the Glow party. Music was too loud for him, so we only stayed for 10 minutes. I really wanted to stay though...

IMG_1223_zps7rekhdnf.jpg

IMG_1247_zpswp8oafhk.jpg

IMG_1273_zps0ksvcl9i.jpg

IMG_1279_zpstgjlgww5.jpg

Day 7 At Sea

We wanted to do the rope course again but it was closed due to the rain and remained closed for the day. We had lunch at Savor. Food was ok but service was really slow. We had dinner at Teppanyaki for the 2nd time. Our tablemates were very pleasant. Service was kind of slow that day but the food was good and the kids enjoyed the entertainment.

We returned to the cabin and found kids chocolate milk left out on the table and the mini fridge locked. And beds were not made on this day. I don’t know if this is NCL’s common practice but I didn't like it.

It was my hubby and Michael’s birthday, so I got a few slices of seven layer chocolate cake from Cagney’s to help us celebrate. It was delicious!

We went to see the Million Dollar Quartet show after dinner. Don’t miss it! The show was fantastic. We all loved it.

Thoughts of NCL

Getaway was a fun ship. There were lots of activities and entertainment options throughout the ship. I like the large sports complex with basketball court, ropes course, climbing wall, and mini golf. Staffs were friendly and courteous. And I like the waterfront and the options to different specialty restaurants. Even though the pools were small, there were water slides that my kids enjoyed quite a bit. Overall, it was a great experience.

The only negative I can say about NCL is their billing. I received my disembarkation invoice last night of the cruise and everything looked correct. However, when I got home, I found out my credit card was overcharged. I contacted NCL’s after cruise department and found out the additional charge was for our cabin’s mini-bar. I explained to the guest relation rep there must have been a mixed up because our mini fridge was empty from day one and was locked up before I received my disembarkation invoice. I was told they’ll have contact me after their investigation.

I have heard back from guest relation department and here is the message I received:

“We have requested the from the executive housekeeper on board to please provide us with the logistical replenish order for the mini bar pertaining to your stateroom and have confirmed you were billed for a premium beer such as a Corona and therefore we can not honor a refund for consumption.”

The difference is around $16. It’s not much money but regardless the amount, overcharged your guests is just wrong and they did it without my knowledge. If I didn’t check my credit card bill, I wouldn’t even know.

IMG_1621_zpsf0lwvce3.jpg

IMG_1609_zpsagqdcc8d.jpg

IMG_1611_zpsmzakbqlr.jpg

IMG_1626_zps7q6pfqkr.jpg

Post Cruise

We stayed in Kimpton Surfcomber Hotel in South Beach. It was nice beachfront hotel with easy access to restaurants and shops. Very convenient location, minutes from Lincoln Road Mall. Spacious public areas including the courtyard, cabanas and the pool. Since it’s a Kimpton hotel, they have bicycles for guests to borrow for free. From doormen to front desk, bellman to the pool staff, all were friendly and accommodating. Room was clean, beds were comfortable. Overall, it was a good stay.

We were planning to relax and have lunch on the beach so we were kind of bummed when we weren’t able to. It was raining on and off throughout the day. We had lunch at Las Olas Café. The place was small but food was terrific and inexpensive. After lunch, we went to Wynwood Walls and drove around the neighborhood. Even though we didn’t get out of our car because of the rain, we still enjoyed seeing all the different types of graffiti art.

After seeing all the artwork we went back to the hotel and took a stroll along the Lincoln Road Mall. All the boutiques and eatery was very vibrant and was a joy to see. All the food looked and smelled so good and we wished we could have tried everything.

IMG_1838_zpsg2rbv6cw.jpg

IMG_1839_zpsevo0s6vq.jpg

IMG_1827_zps5ddlsjtb.jpg

IMG_1823_zpsgzyhutrr.jpg

IMG_1825_zpsqtvtcrgw.jpg

IMG_1842_zpsuf4xz5zh.jpg

Thanks for the review. I am going to try and switch cabins to 8138 or 8738 to get the larger balcony

I just changed our cabin to 8138 thanks!!!

That's really awesome. You'll love the cabin! :)