Did Explorer and Mariner make it to Cozumel?

The Explorer and Mariner were slated to go to Cozumel on the 24th (Exp) and 25th (Mar) according to cruisecal.com. Just curious if they made it over the Thanksgiving holiday... My 12/3 sailing of the Voyager is still slated to go to Cozumel on the 8th, and I was just curious what the odds were of us actually going...

My sister just got off the Mariner this morning and Captain Johnny explained the situation to them. Cozumel will not be able to handle the passenger load from Voyager class ships and the like because they have lost their docking space and have to tender in. Voyager class ships to not have a means to tender their passengers in, and the port of Cozumel does not have enough tender boats to handle the number of passengers the larger ships bring in. This is unfortunate but it's the current situation and it looks like it will be a few months before the situation improves. We shall see, I am going on the Mariner Jan 2nd, and am just planning for the sea day.

I try to look at it this way though, the cruise is more about the journey than the destinations, and it sure beats work!

Just returned from Mariner and although we did not get to go to Cozumel it was explained to us the reasoning due to the size of the ship and that the pier is gone. We had a day at sea and this was posted on the itinerary before we left so it was no surprise. In fact the weather at Grand Cayman was extremely windy and some tours had to be cancelled due to the conditions but I will say that Captain Johnny does his best for his guests. After getting to know his personality and the way he conducts his ship I was very impressed by him. Unfortunately on our cruise the weather was not great but it was certainly do-able. Fortunately we were able to enjoy a nice day at Labadee on the beach.

I too am off the Mariner. Did you know that Jamaica was almost cancelled due to those unusual winds out of the north? Did you wantch that little interview with him on the last day about our itinerary and what happened?

I was SO disappointed we didn't go to Cozumel at first, until the actual day came and it was the most beautiful day at sea EVER. The staff was incredible, kept us all busy and happy. I hope to write a full review soon.

Again, if you look at the RCCL Website, Cozumel is off the schedule for ALL Voyager class ships until at least mid 2006

Hmmm... well, I must be looking at the wrong place. Everytime I've looked at my itinerary (12/3/05), Cozumel still shows up. That's why I've been asking as I've noticed that the Mariner and Explorer that same week either have a day at sea or a different port.

Please let me know where you found the info so I can forward it to the couple we're traveling with... Thanks!

Hmmm... well, I must be looking at the wrong place. Everytime I've looked at my itinerary (12/3/05), Cozumel still shows up. That's why I've been asking as I've noticed that the Mariner and Explorer that same week either have a day at sea or a different port.

Please let me know where you found the info so I can forward it to the couple we're traveling with... Thanks!

I've looked myself and the Voyager's itinerary is the only one that hasn't changed. Looking at cruisecal, only 2 other ships are scheduled to be there that day. So counting Voyager as 2 ships, Cozumel would still only have the 4 max that it can handle per day, so I think it is likely that you are going. I don't think you are going to know for sure until you get on the ship and they tell you you are going.

Have you left a message over on the Cozumel board for Solita? When Cozumel first reopened she's the one that posted the ships that were coming in. Maybe she knows if the Voyager has made arrangements to go there next week.

Have you left a message over on the Cozumel board for Solita? When Cozumel first reopened she's the one that posted the ships that were coming in. Maybe she knows if the Voyager has made arrangements to go there next week.

Yes, actually I did that, too. 40 views so far, but no replies. Hopefully she'll check the board sometime this week... I know it's weird but I'd rather be prepared for the potential "let-down" (although I love sea days, too) before we get on the ship. I'd just like to get to Cozumel and help out the local economy...;)

Well, if you don't get to go to Cozumel, be excited that you get more time to explore Voyager. I've been on her twice, and there are probably still many places on the ship that I haven't seen yet. She's a wonderful ship.

Archived