Renting cars on the Hawaiian island ports?

cruiser02

I've posted this qestion before but cannot find it anywhere.

I have reserved cars with Alamo on Kauaii, Maui and Kona. How does this work? Do the rental companies send shuttles to the port? Do they run thru out the day or just in the early morning hours? What about return from the rental site to the ship?

I would appreciate iany information nad/or suggestions

THANK YOU We are sailing on April 2nd from Honolulu

Shuttle will pick you up at the port...make sure you have your reservation number as they will bring reservations people first to the rental agency. When you return the car you drop it off where you picked it up and they shuttle you back. Make sure you ask them the lastest to drop off that you can get the shuttle back as I remember one port it was earlier than anticipated.

We rented from National in Kauai and Maui, and it was very easy. The National/Alamo shuttle picked up regularly as we debarked. We were later getting off in Maui so we had to call for the shuttle. In Maui, they closed at 4:30, but let us drop off the car, and then we grabbed a taxi back to the port--about $8.

We ported at a different port in Kona, so I can't help you with Kona.

All the rental agencies are near the port and run shuttles as soon as the ship docks. If you are going to get off the ship later just make sure you have the local rental company number and call them right before you leave the ship.

If you plan on renting a car in Kona, rent it from Dollar (ahead of time) at the King Kamehameha Hotel at the end of the pier. All of the other rentals shuttled you back to the airport (about 20 minutes each way) and required you to have the car back before their last shuttle at 4pm. We walked off the tender and were driving out of the parking lot within 15 minutes. Plus they had a drop box for the keys so we could catch a later tender.

As far as Maui, if you are docking in Lahaina I would recommend using Enterprise in Kaanapali here primarily because their location is a bit closer than the airport (shorter shuttle ride) at the Sheraton Maui Resort. Another plus to this location was that they were open an hour later than those at the airport, plus it was just down from Whalers Village. This allowed us to maximize our time before returning the car as Whalers Village has several nice shops and 2 nice restaurants; we thoroughly enjoyed the Hula Grill, it was outdoors right on Kaanapali Beach, the food & drink were wonderful and they had a fantastic performer singing.

Archived