Live from the Gem - April 5-15

mbrusyo

On 4/11/2023 at 5:12 PM, JGmf said:

Enjoying the review.  Love the Gem. 

I'll be in Bermuda in two weeks.  Water will likely still be too cold for snorkeling, but still can't wait to get in at least leg deep!

I was in Bermuda(Prima) April 4,5,&6 and the water was refreshing. I was able to snorkel without pause. Hope you enjoy your time!🏖️

On 4/14/2023 at 7:18 PM, mbrusyo said:

I would say the only negative on this trip was that there was a really strange and pervasive issue of people sitting on the stairs, blocking the whole staricase and being rude about being asked to move. But it was spring break so I think we just had to be extra patient with younger folks still learning about being part of a bigger world of people

i had exactly the same experience last year during a spring break cruise on the gem. teens and tweens sitting four and five abreast on the stairs, blocking passage. many of them were eating food from the buffet and drinking, so between the mass of people and dodging the plates and glasses, it was a mess. and it continued like that for ten days.

you're far more understanding and forgiving than i. these folks won't learn about being a part of a bigger world because the only world that matters is their own. it's hard to be responsible and considerate if you have no cue as to what responsible and considerate looks like, if you have no behavior to model.

where were the parents? it's the parent's responsibility to teach their kids manners and to hold them accountable. sadly, on these cruises, on which as many as a third of the ships passengers can be kids, the parents treat the ship like big kid daycare and just let their kids roam about freely and do whatever they want, even when it inconveniences other passengers. 

as for the ship's response, nobody was ever told to move or behave. and a lot of those dishes and glasses remained on the steps for six or seven hours or more until they were removed.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/10/2023 at 12:22 PM, graphicguy said:

Great review so far.  And, you’re staying in one of the best and nicest cabins on the ship.  You get all the en perks without paying the Haven price. Looking forward to the rest of the review.  Thanks!

What cabin are you staying in?

On 4/22/2023 at 1:27 AM, UKstages said:

i had exactly the same experience last year during a spring break cruise on the gem. teens and tweens sitting four and five abreast on the stairs, blocking passage. many of them were eating food from the buffet and drinking, so between the mass of people and dodging the plates and glasses, it was a mess. and it continued like that for ten days.

you're far more understanding and forgiving than i. these folks won't learn about being a part of a bigger world because the only world that matters is their own. it's hard to be responsible and considerate if you have no cue as to what responsible and considerate looks like, if you have no behavior to model.

where were the parents? it's the parent's responsibility to teach their kids manners and to hold them accountable. sadly, on these cruises, on which as many as a third of the ships passengers can be kids, the parents treat the ship like big kid daycare and just let their kids roam about freely and do whatever they want, even when it inconveniences other passengers. 

as for the ship's response, nobody was ever told to move or behave. and a lot of those dishes and glasses remained on the steps for six or seven hours or more until they were removed.

I have encountered the same issue. But one well landed kick of a teen and they got out of my way after that. I truly didn't really mean to kick the kid, but hey if I have to step partially over you, there's a good chance I'm going to kick you! I'm not in my 20's anymore. It didn't really bother me though. Kid's'll be kids eh? 🙂