Butler in Suite

dolphin lady

29 minutes ago, UKstages said:

your experience was either many, many years ago (heck, when i worked as a call center rep in the paleozoic era, we were allowed to write credit card numbers down on scrap paper; now, due to "clean desk" policies to thwart fraud, you can't even have a pen or pencil or crayon or lipstick or anything else that you could conceivably write with... nor can you have paper nor a camera or a phone or any device which has independent access to the internet)... or your call centers didn't handle financial transactions or customer data ... or you worked for a rather unenlightened company with a very poor CIO... or all your company's call center agents were bonded, which is unlikely. there have been an explosion of tightened security measures in contact centers in the last two decades and particularly in the last seven or eight years.

allowing open access to the internet for contact center employees is rather foolish. in the first place, they don't need it. any site required can be whitelisted. in the second place, agents could transmit credit card numbers and personally identifiable data to confidants outside the call center. what you describe as "firewalls" were, more likely, a "white list" that allowed access to approved sites, which is exactly what i referred to in my post. there's a third place and a fourth place and a fifth place and a host of other reasons why contact centers don't need unfettered access to the internet, but for the purposes of this discussion, those are the most relevant.

i do so love when folks emphatically exclaim "not true" to the personal lived experiences of others.

Without all the variables a person can see it as "not true" to get to their "it's true" outcome they may need more info.