Great experience in Dublin

I just wanted to share what a great time we had in Dublin and what our experience was like for all of you first timers out there. This was our first time to Dublin and we didn’t know what to expect. There are taxis lined up in port but you can easily walk into town. The city has lots to do and see. We walked to a nice little cafe called Insomnia that had great coffee and scones. That’s where our driver Big John met us. He was 6’8” and the funniest most down to earth person I’ve ever met. With his big hearty laughs and corny Irish jokes we had a blast. He drove us all over in his large van and stopped whenever and wherever we wanted to. For $550 for 4 adults that was a bargain compared to the cruise lines tour prices that started at a minimum of $200 pp. 

He took us to Powerscourt Gardens, the mountains in Wicklow, Martello Tower, Lough Tay, Millionaire's View, we saw Enya’s home, Glendalough Tower with the monastery, and Enniskerry. We had great fish and chips at a nice Irish pub along with some amazing local beer. We saw all of the sights and it was so nice to have the entire van to ourselves to do whatever we wanted to. Big John has lived there all of his life and he has so much knowledge of the area which made the trip so much more interesting. 

Big John mainly arranges multiple day trips for people where he arranges their hotel stays at different cities and meets them at the airport then takes them all over Ireland. He had a 5 day trip for a large family he had just finished and after us he had an 11 day trip planned with another family. But in between when he has days open he takes cruisers out sightseeing for the day in Dublin. I’m so grateful he was able to fit us into his schedule because with over 20 years of cruising I can honestly say he’s the best guide we’ve ever had. 

If you have any other questions about Dublin feel free to ask. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/25/2023 at 7:18 PM, Busman723 said:

could you send Big John contact info to busman72345@gmail.com

Sorry it took so long to get back to you. We are back home after 16 days in Europe and the jet lag hit us hard. Here’s his info:

Email:
bigjohn@silverservice.ie

Phone: +353 87 221 6900