Porto to Douro Valley

We are lucky enough to have an overnight in Porto.  The problem is we don't get in until 10 am on the first day and leave at 6 pm on the second day.

Has anyone done a day trip to Pinho successfully from Porto via train or private driver.  There is a Celebrity excursion but the web site does not give enough details for me to book yet.  We typically book our own excursions.

Thanks

Chris

12 hours ago, Chris said:

We are lucky enough to have an overnight in Porto.  The problem is we don't get in until 10 am on the first day and leave at 6 pm on the second day.

Has anyone done a day trip to Pinho successfully from Porto via train or private driver.  There is a Celebrity excursion but the web site does not give enough details for me to book yet.  We typically book our own excursions.

Thanks

Chris

Hi Crhis

I guess you mean Pinhao. I was there last summer.

Trains departs from Porto (all trains from Porto-Campanha, some of them from Porto-Sao Bento too, be sure where to take it) and they drive up to Pocinho. 

They aren't definitely luxurious but enough for travelling.

I was in the area (not in Porto but upper Douro valley) and I took them from Regua to Pinhao. It was enough having return ticket and I could choose which train to take. Riverscape is awesome from the train at all!!!. I just copy some of my pictures.

There is a small pier in Pinhao with different boat excursions. I took the singlest one, just one hour (my daughter tends to get sick on boats... one hour is enough) but there are longer. Two hours and up to Spanish border, the last corner before a big damm where ships cannot sail more.

There's a historical train from Regua to Pocinho. I would not take it. It is very expensive and it doesn't offer too much after single trains.

This is Douro river arriving to Pinhao (you will see these views from the train)

duero.thumb.jpg.c5b86ff3d214b8b86e13cddfcb15c05b.jpg

And here you are the small Pinhao pier to take a boat for 1-2-... hours trip

pinhao.thumb.jpg.2944c7383d78decb6b39b53f8d861744.jpg

both pictures are mine