Have some questions about Mariner ports

First of all, I want to be able to parasail, but does anyone have a reccomendation of a good beach to parasail in St. Maartin? I have been told Orient Beach, but I have 2 children and I don't want to take them to a beach where nudity is allowed. I also heard about this sort of obstacle course in the tree tops type thing and I was hoping you could inform me a bit about that. :) My ports are-Cococay, St. Maartin, and St. Thomas. If you have additional information that would be greatly appreciated

Hello. I'm sorry I can't help with the parasailing (there was parasailing at Orient, but we didn't do it) and what have you. I do want to let you know that ALL beaches on the French side (and many/most of the beaches on the Dutch side) of St. Martin allow topless female sunbathing. That encompasses the entire stretches of all the French-side beaches. Sometimes people will say they went to the "clothed" part or walked through the "nude" areas of Orient beach, when in fact such separate or divided areas simply don't exist.

Club Orient, the fully clothing-optional resort, is on the far right end of Orient beach (facing the water). There will be more fully nude people along that end of the beach. Some fully nude people stroll the entire length of the beach. It isn't encouraged, but it's not illegal either. There are likely to be topless women along the entire beach. This is the French custom and is the cultural norm.

On the Dutch side, Sunset Beach Bar on Maho beach has the motto "topless women drink for free" and Cupecoy (sp?) is known for being a topless/nude beach. I know that some of the Dutch side beaches do not seem to have much toplessness, but there are no guarantees on any of the beaches on St. Martin that you won't have some amount of nudity.

So, the bottom line (so to speak) is that if you want to make sure not to expose your children to topless or nude sunbathing, it will be best not to go to the beaches on St. Martin. I'm not aware of any topless/nude beaches on St. Thomas, but that doesn't mean they don't exist. However, I don't believe that it is common on either St. Thomas or St. John. I'm fairly certain that Cococay doesn't have any topless/nude areas, but they might have "adults only" beach areas that do allow it--I just don't know. Have you considered the America's Cup regatta excursion for St. Martin? Many families have raved about it--and it doesn't involve a beach as far as I know.

(Just to be sure you know, I am not judging your choices at all. You are most certainly entitled to do what you think is best. I simply want you to be informed.)

I hope you have a lovely cruise.

beachchick

Hi MA cruisers,

I'll be on the Mariner on 07/09 as well. Are you on the roll call message board?

MarinerCruise06,

My DS (18) and DD (13) are going to parasail at Cococay. I felt more comfortable going with the ship excursion than trying to find someone on our own in either St. Thomas or St. Maarten. We are doing Sonny Liston's tour in St. Thomas and the America's Cup Sailing Regatta in St. Maarten.

I can't wait for next week to be over! Happy weekend everyone.

Archived