What is the best excursion in Sitka, Alaska?

kingsgirl

We scheduled a 4 1/2 hr wildlife tour with Davey Lubin and in my opinion it was the best time I spent during the cruise. Keep in mind I also did the dog sledding tour on a glacier but I enjoyed the boat tour more. It was scenic, informative, relaxing, and exhilarating at times. This young man is very personable and very knowledgeable regarding the history, wildlife, sea life, and geological makeup of the Sitka area. We saw puffins, cormorants, eagles, seals, otters, whales and more types of birds than I could keep up with. You don't have to take a 4 1/2 hour, he does have shorter tours. In my opinion it was well worth the money.

We booked a Bike & Hike thru Carnival for the afternoon. Visited town and had lunch. Bike ride was fun and we hiked thru the rain forest which was interesting. We went to Totem Pole Park and walked the trails there and watched salmon go upstream. The town itself is quaint.

We booked a 3 1/2 hour tour with Sitka Tribal Tours (they have a website). It was very reasonably priced and we did a city tour, went to the Raptor Center (a must see), the Sitka Tribal Center - where we saw local artisans and salmon spawning in the stream, and we were also taken to see the Sitka Tribal Dancers. It was a great overview of Sitka and I would highly recommend it.

Archived