Travelling from Progresso to Cancun / Playa

jwitt

We are taking the Carnival cruise to Progresso and then Cozumel, but we need to be back on the boat by 3PM. We were thinking about travelling from Progresso and staying the night in Cancun/Cozumel, then meeting up with the ship the next day. Is this feasible? I saw it was a 4-5 hour drive from Merida to Cancun. What would be the best mode of transportation to get there (I couldn't find a ferry - is there one)? The posts I saw on the rental car place in Progresso seemed 50-50. Any advice appreciated. Thanks.

John

Gee. This is a first. A drive from Progreso to Cancun (about 230 miles) could take five hours. Watch out for those giant speed bumps as you enter small towns. They're humdingers.

Thanks for the quick response. I guess driving would be the best way then - we might want to re-think. Carnival was "less than excited" about my plan about skipping the night at sea but didn't say i coudn't!

John

http://www.yucatantoday.com/transportation/eng-bus-lines.htm

http://www.differentworld.com/mexico/common/pages/bus_info.htm

What you will need to do is let the purser's desk know that you will not be getting back on the ship but will get back on at Cozumel. This will keep them from having to page you when the computer still shows you not onboard.

From the point where the pier bus drops you off in Progreso, you will want to walk around the block and go to the local bus station. You can get a one-way ticket to Merida for around $2. It will take you 45 minutes to get to Merida. Once in Merida, you will want to go to one of the two main bus stations. From there, you can take a bus to Cancun. It will take you 3 hr 30 min to get from Merida to Cancun.

The next day you will have two options, take a bus or take a taxi. I would go with the taxi. It is about a one hour trip. You will need to go to the ferry pier at 5th Avenue in Playa del Carmen.

Just make sure to give yourself plenty of time. If you miss the ship, you WILL have to have passports in order to fly back into the United States.

It is not unusual for people to spend the night ashore. On the Holiday, folks do it also because the ship is going across to Calica/PDC from Cozumel.

Dave

• 4 weeks later...
http://www.yucatantoday.com/transportation/eng-bus-lines.htm

http://www.differentworld.com/mexico/common/pages/bus_info.htm

It is not unusual for people to spend the night ashore. On the Holiday, folks do it also because the ship is going across to Calica/PDC from Cozumel.

Dave

Just curious...Can the ship tell you for sure they will make the other port. We were thinking of doing something similar going from Belize to Costa Maya but have some concerns about how often Costa Maya is closed due to sea conditions.

Just curious...Can the ship tell you for sure they will make the other port. We were thinking of doing something similar going from Belize to Costa Maya but have some concerns about how often Costa Maya is closed due to sea conditions.

They really wont know until they attempt to dock. Costa Maya is missed a good bit.

Dave

Archived