Sovereign / Childrens Program

Nymue

How old are your grandchildren? I don't have any info for you yet but we're taking the 4 night on the Sovereign leaving April 2 with our 5 year old son. I plan on posting a review and I will do an extensive kid focused section because so few of the reviews I've read include that (makes sense, most cruisers still don't travel with kids). So keep an eye out for it! :-)

Zandile, I am looking forward to your review of the kids program. We are taking my 5 year old son on the Splendour 4 day at the end of April. Different ship but I would assume the programs would be very similar if not the same. Have fun.

Jay

The kids program I think runs pretty similar fleet wide. But I was on the Sovereign in january and February with my 9 year old.

AO is broken up into age groups as follows:

3-5, 6-8, and 9-11.

On the first night of sailing, at 8pm there is an intro session, usually in the theatre where parents and kids go to meet the staff, get their funky nick names, name tags and so on. Then the AO program will open at 8:30 that night. It will be a themed night, like space, and all the activities are geared towards that theme. Stuff like making space mud, and so on. But the activities are age group appropriate.

Closes at10 pm unless your children are staying for the late night party, which is all age groups brought together, free kind of time in group activities or a movie. Will go up till 1 am, and there is a $5 per child per hour charge for this part. But worth it and most kids love it...they feel really cool for getting to stay up so late. My son is never up past 9 and he manages to stay up for this.

On the day you are in CocoCay, the AO staff heads off the the island for planned activities. There is a fenced area in the sand off to the side where the kids can play most of the day. No swimming by the staff for safety reasons but they do things like water balloons for water activities. They will also close for an hour for counselors to have lunch which is a great time to enjoy the island BBQ.

On ship, there are scheduled activities like every 20-30 minutes (for shorter child attention spans) but always busy.

AO will close for periods of time to allow the staff break periods, so just watch the AO compass for specifics.

One day there will be lunch available with the staff. And on the formal night, there is an opportunity to sign your kids up to have dinner with the staff. They meet in the windjammer at 6 and get toeat dinner without bunches of people around, and it's kids food...pizza, hot dogs, chicken nuggets, fries, etc.

I really believe the kids will love the program. Most kids come out raving about gaga ball.... only the best game in the world. And that is a quote, lol. I know mine is rearing to get back again.

My grandson will be 5 in the fall and my granddaughter is 6.

Anne

How old are your grandchildren? I don't have any info for you yet but we're taking the 4 night on the Sovereign leaving April 2 with our 5 year old son. I plan on posting a review and I will do an extensive kid focused section because so few of the reviews I've read include that (makes sense, most cruisers still don't travel with kids). So keep an eye out for it! :-)

Archived