Costa Maya Scuba - Blue Ocean or Costa Maya Tours

DrDavid

Hello Divers! My wife and I will be diving in Costa Maya on May 10, and are trying to decide between using Blue Ocean Safari or Costa Maya Tours. (We are avoiding Dreamtime because we'd have to book them thru Carnival for $155/each.)

Can anyone recommend one over the other?

Is there a better option that we are missing?

Avoid Costa Maya Tours. We dove with them last September and the operator they booked for us was an hour drive away and the divemaster did not keep very good track of our party, did not check with us during the trip to see how much 02 we had left, the boat was extremely small, etc. Fortunately most of our party were experienced and watched out for the few who weren't but not what we paid for.

That said the diving was pretty good. It was a relatively unspoiled area and saw a school of tarpon that were as big as we were. Book your trip through the boat. If memory serves, Carnival offers it now and should be with a more reputable operator.

I just dove with Costa Maya Tours Wednesday, The diving was great, the divemasters were good, the boat was small but comfortable (had to

do backrolls into the water) their SCUBA gear looked to be first rate almost new (we took our own).

But there seemed to be some confusion between the Tequilia Beach club and the diving operation. The dives are advertised to include soda and water, but when I got to the beach Club I was charged $8.00 for 4 bottles of water, when I first complained I was told only the snorkeling included water and soda. I told them that was not what the web site had said and eventually they refunded the $8.00 but after that we were only offered water before our 1st dive, we were not offered any during our surface interval or after our dives, and we were never offered sodas.

The showers they advertise are just outside showers to rinse off. I saw no fresh water tanks to rinse gear with. They may have had them but they were not offered to us.

I am assuming they are still in a learning process, but if I had it to do over again I would have booked thru the ship. It just was not worth the stress for the little bit of money I saved.

I just dove with Costa Maya Tours Wednesday, The diving was great, the divemasters were good, the boat was small but comfortable (had to

do backrolls into the water) their SCUBA gear looked to be first rate almost new (we took our own).

How long was the trip to dive? I'm concerned over the hour transit time as previously posted.

Thanks

Clint

Blue Ocean offers a "private dive", just you (and dive party if any) and DM for $100 each. For $20 more than a group dive, it is worth it for me.

I have been in contact with Phillip and Julie from BO, and have seemed very nice and helpful.

Good job on booking with Blue Ocean Safari.... Used them in Dec. and had good dives with them... You do backrolls in and it's smaller boats but that's because they believe in smaller groups... tell Julie that Debbie from Calif. sent you.. I also have a review on this category from my dive with them......

Another vote for Blue Ocean Safari... they were great to dive with... we did the private dive and loved it. Pics can be found in my signature -- they don't do justice either, I'm still getting the hang of this picture thing...

Archived