MV Discovery

Kipling

Hi

We are thinking of joining the Amazon cruise, 23 days from Montego Bay.

We are "itinerary cruisers" and this looks to be a great itinerary.

I have never seen such contrasting reviews of a ship----some love it and some hate it. A recurring theme in nearly every review is the quality of the food. Generally it fails to impress.

The food situation would not stop us from sailing, because of the itinerary and the fact we like smaller ships, however it is a bit of a worry and the cruise is not cheap, even for the Cat K cabin we are considering. So-----

(1) Has anyone any recent experience of the food on MV Discovery?

(2) Has anyone cruised in a Cat K, or seen one?

Any input much appreciated.

My wife and I cruised 39 days on Discovery from Costa Rica to Buenos Aires this winter through the Panama Canal and down the coast of South America with stops in the Galapagos and Antarctica. We had a great time. We thought it was a good value for the cost. The food was good. The fresh fish was always a sure thing. The Yacht Club rotated between an Italian and Oriental menu and was always very good. The soups and salads were excellent and fresh fruits and vegetables were always plentiful. The food was not gourmet but it was always prepared as ordered and the menu only repeated two or three days during the 39 days. They had a nice wine list and the prices were very reasonable. The staff was very friendly and accomodating. The lecture series was excellent and was the highlight of the trip besides the exotic destinations. We have booked the "Amazon Cruise" for April 2008. We are in a category "I" cabin. We found it small but comfortable with adequate storage space. Not sure about the Category "K". We loved the small feel of the ship and made many friends. Let me know if you have any other questions.:) Patrick and Ann...

Hi Patrick,

Good to hear some positive views.

Looks like we might be on the same cruise in April? Ours is 23 days from Montego Bay to Bridgetown via the Amazon---What date do you embark?

I booked ours yesterday through an online agent in the US. (We are in Queensland--Sunshine Coast)

Cheers

Mike and Jill

Hi Patrick

Glad to hear you are on the same cruise. The 23 day cruise does not seem to be marketed in Australia or the UK, only in the US. On the other hand the cruise starting 3 days earlier in Cuba is only marketed there and I suppose would not be a big seller in the US.

I have just discovered that Prisendam is doing a nice Amazon itinerary, but not until Nov 2008. Similar price and probably a better ship, but a long way off! We sailed in Prinsendam a couple of years ago (Black Sea) and will be on her in Sept in Europe. Nice sized ship but not without problems---I remember a lot of the cabins were often flooded on that cruise. Helps if expectations are not too high.

Really looking forward to this itinerary. We have travelled on smaller rivers in Peru and done some bird watching in Argentina and Brazil, but have not seen the Amazon. Nor have we seen anything of the Caribbean, although I sailed through the Panama canal a long time ago.

We first visited New York last year and really enjoyed it, so we will go there for a few days after this cruise. Would stay longer but can't afford the hotels. Before the cruise we will spend a few days in Charleston. The South sounds fascinating.

Look forward to meeting you

Cheers

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Mike and Jill,

We’ve been on Discovery twice, early 2005, Antarctic to New Zealand and Nov.2005 to Jan.2006, Lisbon to Buenos Aires via the Caribbean and Amazon. We were in Cat. K cabin 3100 for the first part of the cruise then transferred to3117 for the remaining time. 3100 was bigger (longer) than 3117 and had more storage and a bigger ensuite. One problem was the noise as the waves hit the side of the ship, sometimes one would think we’d hit something.

On the first cruise we were in cabin 4115, a triple berth, so had lots of storage. The food was definitely not as good on the second cruise; there were a lot of complaints and comments by people who had travelled on the ship before. Apparently there was a change of catering suppliers, but I thing things have improved since our cruise. We will cruise on Discovery again because of the itinerary.

The reason the itineraries are different for Australia and USA is Americans cannot go to Cuba legally.

If the ship arranges a Boi Bumba show in Parintins do not miss it!! It’s expensive, cost us $98US each for an hours show, but worth every cent.

We live in Gympie,Qld

Preston and Laurel

Hi Preston and Laurel,

Good to hear from a local!

We are retired, live in Palmwoods, and travel a fair bit.

Really like that Amazon itinerary and we can survive a small cabin. Ours is 3096 which according to the deck plan is one of the smallest. Certainly smaller than 3100. Did you manage OK in 3117? Any particular reason for changing from 3100?

As you know there is not much info about Discovery on the net. We did see it from a distance in Admiralty Bay last year. So far as excursions are concerned a good friend of ours has also recommended the Boi Bumba show in Parintins, so we will do that if available. Would also like to plan something in Manaus, perhaps up the river a bit where there is more bird life.

It would be great to have a yarn with you sometime. Our number is 54459772.

Cheers

Michael & Jill

Archived