What to do in Bari, Italy?

Mu husband and I decided not to go on any tours in Bari, since it's going to be our first port of call and you know how you usually get tired after a long flight. So we've decided to go to Bari and just wander the streets. It's probably a stupid question but can someone give us heads up on where to go. We'd also love to stop at a small, nice cafe and have a cup of cappuccino with tiramisu. Any ideas? Thank's so much!

Bari is not in the top 50 Italian cities to visit. The older part of the city is intersting enough to walk around for a couple of hours. If you are in port on Sunday, very little will be open. Not much on Monday either. Also, the old tradition of shops closing for 2 to 3 hours in teh early afternoon for lunch at home is still common for the smaller shops.

It is Italy, though, so there will be six zillion coffee bars. Sipping an express, nibbling a biscuit and peole watching is always a pleasant way to pass a morning.

Paul

Olga, Bari is our first of port of call too (on Sept.14, Friday, 1-7pm). We'll take the 3½hr. Alberobello tour to check-out the trulli there before spend the rest of the day at Bari's old district and/or do some shopping at the Corso Cavour/Vittorio Emanuele. Are you on MSC Opera?

Dear friends:

Use the day in Bari just to relax (as if it were a sea day) or just walk around the town for a little bit.

Bari (mostly used by Costa and MSC) is considered a "technical" port of call. Cruise ships in Europe tend to stop there to get serviced, provisioned, refueled, and to pick up passengers from Milan and other large cities not on the coast (that is why the stop is usually just for a half-day and not a full-day).

So please don't feel you are missing out on anything overly special, and just use the day to relax.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

Thanks for all the replies. No, we're on Costa Mediterranea in November and our stop is from 12-6PM on Tuesday. We'll probably use this time to relax in Bari and get prepared bor the busy week and the next stop and excursion we're taking in Olympia. :)

• 7 months later...
Mu husband and I decided not to go on any tours in Bari, since it's going to be our first port of call and you know how you usually get tired after a long flight. So we've decided to go to Bari and just wander the streets. It's probably a stupid question but can someone give us heads up on where to go. We'd also love to stop at a small, nice cafe and have a cup of cappuccino with tiramisu. Any ideas? Thank's so much!

Hi Olga77 - I've been seaching this thread for things to do in Bari and found your old thread. My DW and I will be on the MCS Musica in May with a stop in Bari. It appears from what I can fine that there is limited sites to see. How was your stop and can you suggest something, or should we plan to spent the time on ship resting from our long trip and getting familiar with the ship?

Any suggestions from you or readers of this thread would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

DT

DT,

We haven't been yet (we will be there in May on the Costa Serena), but I have been researching. We are only in port for 3 hours, from 11:00 am to 2:00 pm, so we have very little time. My preliminary list includes just 4 sights: the castle, the cathedral, the basilica, and another church near the basilica. That's enough of a walk that I think it will take the limited time we have. If not, we can add in a short stop for gelato!

I've been looking at Bari for a while too. The excursions are an option, but given the short time in port & the travelling time, especially after a long flight, or in our case, a few days spent in Venice, I suspect it may be a bit much. I'm also travelling with 3 aliens (males), so perhaps the trulli won't be their cup of tea.

I was tempted by the beach transfer, but the prices :eek: soon cured that idea! Maybe a taxi will be available to take us to a local beach, but I've not been able to find much info so far.

I also found this, nearer to Bari than the excursions I think which may be an option.

http://www.showcaves.com/english/it/showcaves/Castellana.html

I think in the end we will settle for a day on the ship, with maybe a short stroll in the old town, depending on how we feel on the day, so we are fairly rested for the heavy itinerary to come. Any other ideas would be very welcome though.:)

Archived