Holland America to Alaska with teens

agarza8543

We are booked on a late July cruise to Alaska on the Volendam. Can anyone give me information on their teen program? We went to Alaska last year on Princess and my kids had a blast. We rarely saw them and they made so many friends in the teen program. I picked Holland America this year because we really wanted to upgrade to a suite for this cruise and couldn't get one on Princess or any of the other lines.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Teens are the the most challenging group to please, anywhere. Teen programs on most ships primarily appeal to pre and very young teens. At best, most teen programs provide an opportunity for a meet and greet and from there, many are apt to form their sub groups and just hang out.

It causes me some concern whenever I hear that parents rarely saw their teens during a cruise.....I absolutely guarantee you, when this happens, the kids are not engaged in teen programs. Freedom, roaming the ship and hanging out is the blast for most of them.

During school breaks, teens often have cabins far removed from their parent's cabins. When this happens, such cabins often become one of the gathering spots for teens. Most of the time it's all about ordering from Room Service and hanging out.

All HAL ships have a kids program that is separated by age group. I did a whole summer on board in Alaska and from what I remember there was never a shortage of teens on board. I am not sure about the Volendam but most HAL ships have a teens only area. Your teens will not have any problem finding things to do. Even if they choose not to do the teen program there will always be a group of teens roaming to join up with. Hope that helps

Archived