Question for "robsvacation" ... please ...

LoveLifeAtSea

[size=3][color=royalblue]Hi Rob -[/color][/size]

[size=3][color=#4169e1]I read a posting by you on another board regarding Hotel Resorts in Fort Lauderdale. [/color][/size]

[size=3][color=#4169e1]You said that you have been to both the [b]Harbor Beach Marriott Resort[/b] and the [b]Lago Mar Resort.[/b] [/color][/size]

[size=3][color=#4169e1]I am considering both for a 2 day post stay in mid-October. [/color][/size]

[size=3][color=#4169e1]What are the main differences between the two and what did you particularly find that you liked or disliked at either place?[/color][/size]

[size=3][color=#4169e1]Due to the hurricanes I have been holding off booking anything and now time is running out.[/color][/size]

[size=3][color=#4169e1]Thanks for any feedback that you or anybody else can give me.[/color][/size]

Since I'm really more of a 2 1/2 star hotel person, both resorts bowled me over. My experience is that most beachfront hotels in the US are lacking: because they're on the water they tend to let maintance slide. Neither of these places are like that.

Both are older hotels that have been extensively renovated and are extemely well maintained. Both have lovely public areas and my room was a typical king-bedded room in both, nice but unremarkable.

The Marriott is huge, lots of marble, staff that jumps when you exit the car, the most accomodating front desk staff I've ever met ("late checkout? Would 3PM be ok for you Sir?") They have a large free-form pool (with about 1,000,000 screaming kids in it) an enormous amount of beachfront. The room had a "marriott bed" which is my favorite hotel bed (even more so than Westin's "Heavenly bed") The Spa is nice but expensive, but there is a separate private pool for those using the spa. Overall this is a large hotel and it feels like it, big and a little overwhelming but with alot of facilities and services to choose from.

The Lago Mar is smaller, feels more adult, equally nice staff, less beachfront, smaller pool that feels more enclosed as it is surrounded by the building (Marriott's pool is off to the side). I didn't use their spa services so no comment. This place has a neat feeling like you've discovered it or someone told you about it,is perhaps therefore a little more exclusive and a little less "chain hotel" feeling.

I can't say I've eaten at either resort. The places look great but the prices are astronomical.

I have to give the nod to the Marriott as the better of the two, but the Lago Mar has much lower rates making it a better value in my opinon. To the best of my knowledge only the Marriott comes up on Priceline, Lago Mar has deals on their website that are reasonable. Note that with Priceline you're not getting a beachfront room but I can't say I felt poorly treated in any way as a priceline customer.

Frankly, I can't see anyone being unhappy at either place except if you paid top dollar in high season. My last stay in FLL I stayed at the embassey suites and really liked the hotel and the area (I returned the rental car since I could walk to everything) but I have to admit I really missed the beach.

[size=3][color=royalblue]Rob, you gave back more than I could ask for. Thank you for a wonderfully objective review of the 2 resorts.[/color][/size]
[size=3][color=#4169e1][/color][/size]
[size=3][color=#4169e1]I have tried Priceline a few times, starting at $80 and ending at $125 and getting no hits. I was really hoping to get the Bar Harbor Marriott. I'm going to try one more time, but it appears that I'm going to have to book the specific resort outright. [/color][/size]
[size=3][color=#4169e1]I do have a possibly good lead for you in case you haven't discovered it yet. I have yet to book through them, so I can only [u]hope[/u] that there are no surprises ... but VacationsToGo.com have GREAT prices as compared to other online TAs or the resorts itself. [/color][/size]
[size=3][color=#4169e1]Supposedly the prices you find online at VTG includes all taxes and fees. The only definite catch that I came up with so far is that it is a 2 night minimum so anybody wanting only 1 night cannot book through them. Also, you can only shop online. If you are interested in booking you will have to talk to one of their travel agents.[/color][/size]
[size=3][color=#4169e1]Also of extreme interest to me that I learned is that there are "wholesalers" who contracts with hotels and resorts to sell a block of rooms. These brokers, in turn, sell the rooms to TAs. Where this is important to know is that if you call a hotel and learn that they are sold out, sometimes you can get that same hotel through VacationsToGo. That is what I discovered with Lago Mar Resorts. According to Lago Mar, both online and thru telephone reservations, the hotel is sold out. But there are rooms available through VTG. I'm sure there are other travel agents who deal with the wholesalers as well but I'm not sure who they are.[/color][/size]
[size=3][color=#4169e1]Again, thank you Rob for your quick and in depth response. [/color][/size]
[size=3][color=#4169e1] [/color][/size]

Don't get me wrong, the Marriott is a nicer place, it's just not sooooo much nicer that I think it's worth the extra money they charge. It's a trade off between which hotel is nicer and which offers better VALUE. If the rates were close, I'd spring for the Harbor Beach.

I've been noticing that marriotts in general are releasing inventory to priceline later than they have in the past (< month in some cases) If you can do a refundable reservation and then try priceline closer to you departure I'd do that.

Don't be afraid of the "downtown" zone in Fll. While you're not on the beach you do have easy access to the water bus, shopping, resturants, etc. It's a bit of a tradeoff. If you stay at the Marriott Marina they have a once a day shuttle to the Marriott Harbor Beach. Another option is to book a spa appointment at the Harbor Beach and then just use their facilities for the day.

Thanks, will keep VacationsToGo in mind in the future. These days I'm find I'm getting the best deals through Priceline and then the Hotel's own website but always looking for good sites.

[size=3][color=royalblue][b]Interesting point you made there ....[/b] "[size=2]I've been noticing that marriotts in general are releasing inventory to priceline later than they have in the past (< month in some cases)"[/size][/color][/size]
[color=#4169e1][/color]
[size=3][color=#4169e1][b]The reason I say that is because the TA at VacationsToGo told me that unsold cabins that is being held by the wholesaler is turned back over to the hotels approximately 2 weeks before arrival date. It appears to "tie in" with the last minutes bookings through Priceline.[/b] [/color][/size]

Archived