Princess Companion (or other type literature)

cajun-crazy

I have read of people using this to follow their route. Our trip is on RCCL, Seward SB to Vancouver. My husband is thinking of taking his GPS.

Would we need a map or publication to help follow with? How would the Princess companion help us if it isn't the same route? It doesn't seem like that would be beneficial.

Any thoughts?

Thank you Ranger. I knew his GPS had a screen that showed a map - just wasn't sure of the logistics. (If I needed a larger map in addition).

Would you mind telling someone that has no knowledge of using a GPS - how you would use this and a map most efficiently?

With the GPS you’ll always know your position, so you can plot your position (using GPS coordinates) relative to items referenced on the map. My wife says this must be a “guy thing”, she could care less.

The map has a lot of information and the book that comes with it has port information. I figure everyone uses their GPS differently. I’m not sure of the exact route for your cruise, but with the GPS and map, you can identify glaciers along the Alaskan Coast as you go from Seward to the Skagway/Glacier Bay area, you can identify the islands and towns you pass in the inside passage, and it’s real interesting to watch the passage through Seymour Narrows. You can keep track of all this.

Like my wife says, you have be “into this stuff” to have fun with it.

Are GPS units permitted, legal, or whatever when ...

On airline checked luggage?

On airline carry on bags?

Use in airborne flight?

Crossing int'l borders?

On board ship underway?

My hubby can't wait to play with his GPS while zipping along at 500mph six miles above sea level 30,000ft (yes, it's a "man thing").

Are GPS units permitted, legal, or whatever when ...

On airline checked luggage?

Yes
On airline carry on bags?
Yes
Use in airborne flight?
Maybe but not during takeoff or landing, perhaps not at all. I've seen it and might if I had one.
Crossing int'l borders?
I can't see why not.
On board ship underway?
I'm sure.

My hubby can't wait to play with his GPS while zipping along at 500mph six miles above sea level 30,000ft (yes, it's a "man thing").

Can't blame him. (Man)

It must depend on the Airline whether it can be used in flight or not, I haven’t had a problem on Continental. Mine only works on the plane by holding it against the window.

On the ship you’ll need to be out on deck or on a balcony to receive a signal (won’t work in a cabin).

A GPS is like any other electronic item (ipod, camera), I carry it onboard. I’d never trust it inside checked luggage. I’ve never had a problem going thru airport security.

On the ship you’ll need to be out on deck or on a balcony to receive a signal (won’t work in a cabin).

Well - that's good to know. We have an inside cabin booked. His is sort of boxy shaped. It sits on the dashboard of the vehicle. It isn't small and handheld.

but - if it makes him happy and he wants to bring it - more power to him!

OK... I'm interested and I'm a girl! We Geocache and I love my hand held garmin. My hubby to be has taken a liking to my GPA and I haven't seen it in months, but with spring almost here we will again be caching.

My question... I'm not that experienced with my GPS and use it only for caching. Do I need additional software to map and find landmarks? Thanks for the info. Now I'm thinking of trying to cache in Alaska. I'm off to start a new thread on this topic!

Archived