"You cannot buy liquor and carry it with you" - is this true???

mom2sons

Saw this posted in one of the stickys about Grand Cayman. Is this true? If we buy the Tortuga rum and the rum cakes, etc we cannot carry our purchases around with us as we shop or go to other attractions? The sticky indicates the store will transport your purchases to your cruise ship.

I'd really like to know as it seems dicey to me to make purchases in a tourist area (with 1,000's of other tourists) and have to rely on the store personnel to make sure our purchases get to back to our specific cruise ship in time for departure.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Shara

You certainly can buy alcohol and carry it with you. However, if you choose to do so, you cannot buy at duty free prices. Duty free purchases (whether at an airport or cruise destination) must be delivered in such a way to guarantee that the purchaser is departing the location to another international desitnation. Cayman charges a substantial duty on alcohol for on-island consumption.

Most of the liquor stores serving the cruise ship trade do not keep a substantial stock in the store. They gather customer orders and warehouse personnel deliver the items to the ship's tender. It works well for thousands of customers each day. I don't know why you consider it to seem dicey!?

Treating rum cake purchases in the same manner is a matter of convenience. Many customers appreciate not having to carry around a large box all day. Still, you can find rum cakes in many shops available for cash and carry.

Okay, it makes sense now. I was picturing lots of little shops near the cruise area with 1,000's of passengers trying to purchase their souvenir rum. It seemed like it would be chaotic, and ensuring your purchase was delivered to the cruise ship in time seemed like a potential loss of money.

But what you are describing sounds like a controlled atmosphere.

If it works well, every day, I suppose it's not a risk. Once you mention you're going to Grand Cayman (or any other island for that matter) everybody wants booze as a souvenir.

I don't know if it is permitted to discuss on boards but is there a place to find the average costs of the rum cakes and various local rums?

Thanks,

Shara

We just got back from our cruise and Cayman was one of the stops . You have nothing to worry about with the duty free shop delivering your rum to the ship . You can buy your rum cakes seperatly and take them to your cabin if you like . The only problem you might have is with customs when you return to your debarkation port . For instance the port in Texas says you are only allowed 1 litre of rum and of course I had 8 bottles :( . They let me have them with a warning. Check the state where your port is befor you buy . You may not be as lucky.

Allowances for bringing your duty free purchases back to your home country are typically on a per person basis. Each person of legal age can bring back 1 liter of alcohol duty free. Go over your allotment and you simply owe the duty on the item. Often it is a good deal to buy in quantity duty free and then pay the duty owed as you go back home. YMMV.

Drew Sailbum,

We're going to be staying on GC for 8 days in May and I am debating about bringing liquor, or just biting the bullet and buying it there. I have read different postings about the cost, so could you enlighten me as to the real cost. If I don't have to lug an extra box with me, I would be pleased.

Drew Sailbum,

We're going to be staying on GC for 8 days in May and I am debating about bringing liquor, or just biting the bullet and buying it there. I have read different postings about the cost, so could you enlighten me as to the real cost. If I don't have to lug an extra box with me, I would be pleased.

In a word, expensive.

https://www.thirstysurfer.com/index/cprds

Though the Thirsty Surfer is nowhere near the crusie docks or George Town, it is the only liquor store on GC with prices on its website, I think. It is competitively priced.

750ml bottle of Bacardi goes for CI$26.50 (US$33.13)

750ml of Grey Goose vodka for CI$30.75 (US$38.44)

Coors LIght 6-pack cans for CI$10.25 (US$12.81)

and if you want the whole case... Coors light case CI$35.95 (US$44.94)

Do yourself a favor and buy a bottle of duty free per adult as you fly out from your international gateway. I think I paid about US$8 for a bottle of Bacardi last time.

I don't know why you consider it to seem dicey!?

I beg to differ with Drew because it can be dicey!

I purchased four bottles of rum and only received three in our stateroom on the final cruise night. Of course, by that time, it's too late to do anything about it because you've long since sailed from the island. The cruise line offered no support because the purchase wasn't made in a "ship sponsored store." I received no reply to both an email and a voice mail message that I left with the retailer. So, whacha gonna do? :confused:

Granted, it's only a bottle of rum, but you do want to receive what you pay for. And, let me tell you, liquor isn't cheap in Grand Cayman.

So, from now on, I will only purchase liquor where I can physically carry it onboard with me. :p

Good idea to purchase liquor at a ship-sponsored store. We've been to Cayman 3 times & purchased liquor/rum cakes to be sent to the ship. No problem the first 2 times, but the last time it never made it to the ship. It was a ship-sponsored store. We notified ship personnel & they filed a report. About a week after returning from our trip, the store in Cayman called & credited our credit card. Will purchase again on next trip.

We purchased 8 bottles of rum in St Lucia, declared them on our customs form, then wrapped them in our dirty laundry, packed them in the middle of our suitcases and they all made it home just fine. Customs never charged us an fee for the over the limit bottles, just looked at our form and waved us through.:D

Archived