How much $ to ship fish

cascole

My teens will be fishing salmon (half day) in skagway & we are chartering a halibut boat in ketchikan. How much $ should I budget to process & ship the fish home? I'm sure it's based on how many pounds you want to send home. What if we only want to keep some of what is caught? Will the captain keep the remainder?

Prepare yourself for some sticker shock at first! We shipped salmon home that my husband and son had caught in Seward. My husband was a little upset at the price until we got back home to Florida and priced salmon in the supermarket - then he wished we had sent more of it back.

Some of the cost up front (besides the fishing charter :D ) will be in the packaging and processing. There will be a minimum charge for that whether you send 1 pound or 20 pounds. Does that make sense?? The companies that ship the fish will also hold off on shipping the fish so that it will arrive after you return from your trip.

Later on our trip they went fishing in Talkeetna. They just gave the catch to their fishing guide who was very appreciative!

Terri

My teens will be fishing salmon (half day) in skagway & we are chartering a halibut boat in ketchikan. How much $ should I budget to process & ship the fish home? I'm sure it's based on how many pounds you want to send home. What if we only want to keep some of what is caught? Will the captain keep the remainder?

Here's a list from our favorite processor in Alaska. Most processors in Alaska charge about the same amount.

http://www.welovefish.com/seafood-processing.htm

FedEx charges are on the total package weight. MAKE SURE the processor puts enough gel ice in the package. Some have been skipping extra gel packs to keep the weight down. Fish has arrived in the lower 48 partially defrosted or completely thawed out. You are not supposed to refreeze fish.

Processing charges are on the total FISH weight. You pay processing on every pound of fish you bring in, even though you may only have 50% fish weight AFTER processing. Spend the few extra cents per pound to have the fish filleted. Yes, you loose a few more pounds of fish, but you will have fish without bones.

Halibut in the lower 48 is about $14.00 per pound. Alaska salmon (if you can find it-most salmon is Atlantic) is about $17.00 per pound. If you like fish, keep all you can. You won't find a better bargain, even after paying for the guides, the boat and the shipping.

Enjoy!!!!

Thanks for all the responses... and Yikes is right. Thanks for the link - very helpful! That is a bit of sticker shock. (but better to plan for it now!)

Do yourself a favor, at $4.00 a lb. (which is the norm) ship at least one 50 lb box of Salmon and Halibut back and you will never leave a piece of fish on a charter boat in Alaska again.

What's the details with the restrictions on king salmon? It's the buzz in the SE Alaska papers. Nonresident sport fishermen will have an annual limit of 1-3, depending on when they are fishing. Charter boats will only be allowed 4 lines in the water.

I am not an avid fisherman so maybe I'm misinterpreting the articles. (A Google search will get lots of hits). I'm surprised this hasn't come up in any of the threads that I could find.

Anyone have clarification or comments? :confused:

What's the details with the restrictions on king salmon? It's the buzz in the SE Alaska papers. Nonresident sport fishermen will have an annual limit of 1-3, depending on when they are fishing. Charter boats will only be allowed 4 lines in the water.

I am not an avid fisherman so maybe I'm misinterpreting the articles. (A Google search will get lots of hits). I'm surprised this hasn't come up in any of the threads that I could find.

Anyone have clarification or comments? :confused:

There are different limits for king salmon in different parts of the state and they change every year, depending on the anticipated fish counts.

I have seen the limit in the Kenai of ONE. This year it is 5 (annual limit). There are also regulations regarding length of fish-last year, you couldn't keep anything smaller than 28", this year you can keep kings UNDER 20" or over 28.

There have been NO FIRM orders for SE Alaska yet this year. It may be only one king or up to five. The EO's (emergency orders) have not been published yet. Six lines in the water for ONE boat, but only if there are six PAYING clients. You MUST have a king salmon stamp as well as a fishing license.

Here are the rules that are published so far for SE Alaska. They will change via EO's as the season materializes.

http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/statewide/regulations/southeast/SEregion.pdf

Archived