Alaska Canopy Adventures Bear Creek zipline - anyone tried it yet?

buttah75

This zip is new for 2008 in Ketchikan. There are lots of reviews of their other Ketchikan one, Rainforest Canopy Zip, but none yet for Bear Creek. (Both are offered on Princess).

I would love to know if anyone has tried the Bear Creek zipline and what you thought! I have a son who turns 12 two days after we're in Ketchikan, but the age limit for the Rainforest Canopy one is 12, so I'm not sure they'll even let us sign up for that one, even thought my son is 5'5"/130lbs, and should be able to do anything an adult can!

The Bear Creek one goes younger, and includes some kind of Tarzan swing and slide. The woman on the phone told me they're both fun and very similar but that the Bear Creek one was built to insure that lighter weighted kids keep moving across and don't get stuck (yikes), but I'd rather skip the slide/swing myself.

Can anyone provide feedback yet?

• 4 weeks later...
now that it's open a month, I wanted to ask again? So far only one CC member has weighed in on this zip - anyone else?????

Hello,

The regular canopy zip line was great. I think the age limit is due to the possiblity of younger lighter kids getting stuck. There was a boy of about 12 in our group and he had no problems doing the lines. Maybe you can contact them directly to check as your son would probably be OK. I think the bear creek one is geared towards younger children and may not be as exciting. WE loved it....it was pretty amazing and not as difficult as I originally thought it would be. Let me know if you have any questions. :)

My son was 11 when we were in Ketchikan last month. He is very brave and really wanted to do the zipline. I was afraid that the bear creek one would be something he would consider too young (The minimum age is 5 so it has to be tamed down some). Unfortunately, I did e-mail the company several times asking about this, but received no response.

I booked for my son and my husband the Ropes & Zipline Challenge through the cruise ship. It has several zips, rope bridge, and other obstacles - and ends up with a rappelling wall at the end. Both my son and my husband are considered active, adventurious guys and they really enjoyed this excursion.

I'm not saying one is better than the other, only pointing out that I was concerned about the excursion I selected for them - and it ended up being one of the highlights.

Yes, but I'm asking about Bear Creek - if anyone's done that. ??????

I've seen lots of pics and video of the other Alaska Canopy zip, as it's all over youtube.

Cajun, did Princess and/or Canopy not mind that your son was technically under the age limit? Because I'd rather do the regular one as well, only the one without the ropes.

I'm sorry. We did NOT do "canopy". We did the Ropes & Zipline Challenge which is a different company with a different age restriction.

http://www.southeastexposure.com/rainforest-ropes-and-zip-challenge.html

My son was not under the age limit for the one that we chose to do. I believe the age limit was 10 or 11.

I realize you asked specifically about Bear Creek - I had some of the same concerns, but couldn't get any feedback as this was a new excursion for this year.

Actually, I had seen many videos on youtube also, but they were not of the Ropes & Zipline Challenge. They were mostly all of the Alaska Canopy.

I hope you have a delightful time.

My big question about the zip lines is not the zipping, mainly because I did parasailing one time, scared silly, and it was fantastic, so the up high, free floating, moving fast, etc, not a problem BUT at 62, if I have to do a lot of hiking, or going up steps, I just aint gonna make it!! Walking across centennial park in Atlanta nearly did me in, but walking around the aquarium was great. I'm not in bad shap, but the years are adding up. Any input from any other seniors out there...please?

Archived