5/25/2008 Pearl to Alaska -Skagway

brunolvr

May 28, 2008 - Skagway

I awoke at 4:30 AM, put on my nice fluffy NCL robe and went out on our front balcony as the Pearl slowly cruised down the Taiya Inlet towards the Broadway dock in Skagway. It was 58 degrees and a little misty out.

The Pearl docked by 5:15 AM and we could see the Star approaching their berthing place at the Ore dock. They were getting into position to back into the space right next to us. It was quite a process that took about ½ hour. By then the Diamond Princess and the Serenade of the Sea were docking at the Railroad docks.

By 8 AM, the clouds were parting to make way for a beautiful, sunny day. Since our excursion wasn’t until noon, we had a leisurely breakfast in Cagney’s. The White Pass train had already left leaving the streets of Skagway pretty empty, so we decided to get off the ship and do some shopping. But, by the time we got off the Pearl and walked the short distance into town, the streets were packed with people. We later learned that the first train of the day broke down and it was hours before it was fixed. Most of the people were re-scheduled for a late afternoon trip.

So instead of shopping (the stores were packed with people), we made our way down the crowded sidewalks to the Skagway Museum at 7th & Spring. It’s a great little museum with a couple of films to watch. By then it was almost 11 AM and getting pretty warm out, so we decided we better get back to the ship and get ready for our excursion.

We had arranged to meet Dyea Dave near the Klondike Gold Rush National Park Visitor’s Center for a tour to Dyea which is about 9 miles from Skagway. My husband has done a lot of reading on the history of the Klondike gold rush and the Chilkoot Trail which started in Dyea and was very interested in seeing it in person. We had a very enjoyable time far from the crowds with a very personable tour guide who was able to answer all of my husband’s questions.

By the time we got back to Skagway about 4 PM, we were hot (after all it was 72 degrees) and hungry so we went back onboard the Pearl for a late lunch. We called our butler and she delivered a delicious lunch that we enjoyed out on our front balcony while watching the hordes of people getting off and on the train and the crowds walking down Broadway.

After the crowds thinned out a bit, I made my way off the ship and into town to find a couple of souvenirs for our grandchildren while my husband stayed onboard for a well earned nap! I found some trinkets and t-shirts for the grandchildren and some great smelling “Made in Alaska” soaps by Denali Dreams for my daughter and myself. Can’t wait to try them!

About 8 PM we decided to go up to the Garden Café and see what they had to offer for dinner. It was nice seeing white tablecloths and candles on the tables. We had a little to eat and decided to skip the 9:15 PM show as we wanted to watch the Pearl’s departure from Skagway from our balcony.

The Star had left earlier in the evening but about 8:30 PM, the Serenade of the Seas sounded her loud horn and slowly backed out of her berthing location with the Diamond Princess a few minutes behind her. Promptly at 9 PM under clear skies and temps in the 60’s, we backed out of the Broadway dock and were on our way down the Lynn Canal. The little town of Skagway was quiet once again until early the next morning when they would once again be inundated with thousands of tourists.

Just past Haines, the Diamond Princess had slowed way down to almost a stop in the darkness as we passed her headed towards our next destination of Glacier Bay just 225 nautical miles away.

love it. can't wait to read the rest.

Thanks! I'm working on Glacier Bay now. You'll have a great time on the Pearl and you're going late enough in the season where the Pearl should be able to get much closer to John Hopkins Glacier!:)

Thanks for the great review--seems like you has a super time/ I am taking my first cruise to Alaska this summer, my first cruise actually, and I love reading all of the reviews coming in--makes me feel like I am already traveling.

I have "reserved" Dyea Dave when I am in Skagway for a private tour and e sounds great when we've spoken over the phone. I'm glad to read that his tour was super

Thanks again for the review

What kind of tour did you have with Dyea Dave? How did you find it?

I appreciate any info. Thanks and hope you enjoy the rest of your trip!

Dyea Dave has posted on Cruise Critic and I read a couple of reviews from people who had gone on an excursion with him. My husband's greatest wish was to go to Dyea because of the historical significance related to the Klondike Gold Rush. You can't drive rental cars there because of the unpaved roads and Dyea Dave was the only one I knew of who went there.

You can look at the other tours he offers on his website by just doing a search for dyeadavetours.

Archived