Puntarenas area surfing lessons?

ZonaGuy

Has anyone done any surfing near Puntarenas, Costa Rica?

I am adventurous and flexible, but will be in port only from 9A-7P (11/28.)

Am considering a cab, or other transportation to Jaco beach area, for a beginner lesson, while my travelling partner hangs out on the beach.

Does taking a taxi from cruise ship pier seem do-able? What's a realistic one-way cab fare? Does $50 for a 3 hour lesson including board seem right?

Any other suggestions as far as surf lesson near to ship terminal?

Any assistance/ideas are appreciated.

Costa Rica is a great place to surf but I am certain you will not find a ship sponsored excursion. Puntarenas is deep within Golfo De Nicoya so you probably will not find waves within a quick trip of the docks. First get a map or go online (Google for a map or use Google Earth) to look at the area. Do an online search (Google, Yahoo...) for "costa rica surfing lessons" and you will find many places.

There are ferries that cross Golfo De Nicoya to the outter peninsula, but it is a long slow ride, and then you have an hours drive to the Pacific coast. I would look for something to the southeast.

---

Were you asking about surfing in Cabo in another thread? Try Googling for surfing there. There is nothing right in the bay at Cabo but the Pacific beaches are very close. There might be a good spot within 10 miles. Certainly much closer than in Costa Rica (but Costa Rica has some world class surfing).

Huatulco and Puerto Chiapas, Mexico have many beaches. See if you can find something there. We hired a private boat for the day in Huatulco. $180 got us a boat, boat driver and an English speaking guide for the day (Expert Tours I think). We E-mailed them before our cruise to let them know what we wanted to do. If you E-mailed and said you wanted surfing I bet they could put something together for you.

Thank for the info about surfing in Costa Rica. It sounds good if I were there for a weeks vacation.

Yes, it was me whom started the Cabo surfing thread. That, too, sounds better tried on a longer trip/vacation there.

The Huatulco boat idea sounds fun! I think I will try checking that out...

Was that $180 for 2 people? Seems like a good deal as there doesn't seem like much to do in Huatulco....

Again, thanks for the info!

Zonaguy

My wife wrote a review of our cruise in the HAL section: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=866651

Here is her description of the day in Huatulco when we chartered the boat:

October 6: Huatulco. We chartered a 25 ft motor boat with a captain (Leno) and an English-speaking guide (Eduardo) through Jorge Cabreras at Xpert travel. We saw 5 or 6 of the bays of Huatulco (there are 9), saw sea turtles and lots of fish. Hubby did some snorkeling on the coral reefs in one of the bays (renting snorkel equipment 75 pesos or 8 dollars) and since I don’t snorkel I just swam for a while. Hubby said the fish were almost friendly—no fear of the swimmers at all, and lots of fish. If you want specifics of what he saw—I can ask him. We had the boat all to ourselves but we could have brought another couple—our charter was $180 and included up to 4 people, beers, and about 4 ½-5 hours. Back on Westerdam for a late lunch, I had the thai fish soup (advertised as spicy but not at all—still good) coconut curry (also good but I would prepare with more spice at home) and paté (seafood and pork). I had fish again at dinner—I love seafood in general and thought that most was prepared very well—never dry (occasionally sort of bland, but that happens on ships).

---

The boat charter is pretty cool. The boat is yours with a driver and guide/translator. You point over there and the boat goes there. Feel like swimming or snorkeling? Jump in and swim. Climb back in the boat when you have had enough and have a beer while they take you somewhere else.

The boat was quite nice. Like you would find on the coast in the US and in good condition. The driver and translator/guide were very professional, nice and helpfull. I would do it again. If you want to try surfing I would send them an E-mail and see if it's possible (though I did not see anyone surfing when we were there).

Archived