Princess Cays Bungalow 10/27/2008

garyinftl

You know what is frustrating about all this for me? All the services that were provided and are in question don't cost princess anything. Think about it, the crew work for tips, the golf cart prob. runs on a little bit of electric, priority tender tickets don't cost anything. If princess is changing how they do this it is crazy esp. in the ecpnomic times we are in. We are taking our 1st princess cruise and am a little sad that this might be an issue. On NCL if you rent a life vest you get priority tendering. Now I have always though that was silly but always take advantage of it.

I think you make a good point!:cool:

Just thought I would post some info about our rental of a bungalow on Princess Cays this week. We were on the seven day Crown Princess cruise out of Fort Lauderdale on Sunday 10/26/2008. Our first port was Princess Cays on Monday 10/27/2008.

We had reserved a bungalow via the Cruise Personalizer on the Princess website, largely based on the wonderful reviews we read here on cruisecritic. Well, all of the wonderful accommodations that past cruisers received from the bungalow rental are gone, at least on our visit this week.

• Past cruisers had reported getting called before arrival at the island to pick out which color bungalow that they wanted - no more - now when you get to the island you get a golf cart to a check in stand where they tell you which you have been assigned.
  • Past cruisers had reported getting a ticket to allow up to six persons to have priority boarding on the tenders - no more - now you wait in line with everyone else.
  • Past cruisers had reported getting delivery of food from the barbeque, plates overflowing with some of everything available - no more - now you get a pitcher of water and a bucket of ice. We asked the cabin attendant who would get drinks (for a fee of course) if there was still food service to the bungalows, and got a terse no.

The cost of the bungalow is still $199 for up to six persons but for that you pretty much get an airconditioned room, guaranteed loungers, a table and chairs, some ice and water.

Princess provides a letter with the bungalow ticket indicating that for $245 total ($199 plus an additional $46 for the first two persons) you get priority boarding and a deluxe lobster salad lunch. Additional two persons cost an additional $48.

When we returned to the ship we inquired at the tour desk to see if we should have gotten better service. We were informed that all of the previous accommodations had been dropped. In Princess' defense, I do have to say that the description of the service in the shore excursions listings for the bungalow rental does NOT include all of the goodies past cruisers reported.

If any of this may change your feeling about having pre-reserving a bungalow, please also be aware that once you board the ship any Princess Cays "excursion" such as the bungalow or rental of any watersports equipment cannot be cancelled for refund.

Thats for the info we just canc. ours for Dec.!!!!! Cruise critics works

Just a few:D questions....

we're a group of 18 with 3 bungalows reserved for our March 09 sailing on the Crown-

Will we be able to get all 3 together?

How many loungers are there? I have heard 2,4 and 6 which is it?

table for 4? but bungalow for 6? where do the other 2 eat?

How far are the restrooms?

How far is the BBQ (food)?

Is the swim/beach area right there or how far to walk?

Can you see the water?

Are the clamshells on the beach? are they closer to the facilities?

Would we be better off getting several clamshells next to each other?

I know splitting the bungalow between 6 people cuts the cost, but we don't want to be far from the fun either.

Thanks for your help!!!

Hi,

Im just back, and we did get everything for the $199, I will try and answer some of your questions

Will we be able to get all 3 together? think you would have to be 1st off the ship, we didnt know what one we had until we arrived, and didnt get the choice, but in fairness we didnt ask for a specific one, but when we did get to the bungalow the table was only set for 2...so not sure how it worked

How many loungers are there? I have heard 2,4 and 6 which is it? there is 2 on the front porch, and 4 more directly in front on the sand with an parasol, also beach towels were there 4 of them im sure

table for 4? but bungalow for 6? where do the other 2 eat? not sure, maybe they will add 2 more seats

How far are the restrooms? about a 2-3 min walk behind the bbq area

How far is the BBQ (food)? see above, but out waiter brought us a selection, so we didnt go

Is the swim/beach area right there or how far to walk? just a walk through all the loungers to the water in front of the bungalows

Can you see the water? yeah right in front of the bungalows, as they are all set along the back of the beach front

Are the clamshells on the beach? are they closer to the facilities? yes i think they were but not 100% sure

Would we be better off getting several clamshells next to each other?

I know splitting the bungalow between 6 people cuts the cost, but we don't want to be far from the fun either. all the fun was at the other end of the beach (where you get dropped off) we didnt even know about all the games we missed until back on the ship:(

we were in bungalow 10 called sugarapple (pink one) this was 3rd from the end, there is 3 new bungalows at the very end, but havent been used yet, not got furniture, names etc

I hope this helps a little

jenni x

I just got off the Ruby and had a fantastic experience at Princess Cay, thanks to getting the bungalow. We had one of the newer bungalows. They are now open. They are just past the older bungalows but offer a very peaceful and relaxing environment. We had full service from our bungalow attendant. He brought us our lunch, drinks etc. It is true that you are a bit further away from the action but quite frankly there were so many people in the main area that I appreciated being able to retreat to the bungalow for some quality R and R. For my family this was money well spent.

I just got off the Ruby and had a fantastic experience at Princess Cay, thanks to getting the bungalow. We had one of the newer bungalows. They are now open. They are just past the older bungalows but offer a very peaceful and relaxing environment. We had full service from our bungalow attendant. He brought us our lunch, drinks etc. It is true that you are a bit further away from the action but quite frankly there were so many people in the main area that I appreciated being able to retreat to the bungalow for some quality R and R. For my family this was money well spent.

We're doing a family cruise with 10 of us in February on the Crown and are seriously looking at reserving one of the bungalows for the day. Yes, I know they say up to 6 guests, but 2 of the guests are little kids who aren't going to need a chair and will play in the sand and the water all day, and certainly some of the rest of us will swim, snorkle, shop, or generally wander. Having a bungalow, I think, will make a nice "home base" to hang, and since 4 of the adults are retired seniors, I think the A/C will be welcome at some point during the day.

We're doing a family cruise with 10 of us in February on the Crown and are seriously looking at reserving one of the bungalows for the day. Yes, I know they say up to 6 guests, but 2 of the guests are little kids who aren't going to need a chair and will play in the sand and the water all day, and certainly some of the rest of us will swim, snorkle, shop, or generally wander. Having a bungalow, I think, will make a nice "home base" to hang, and since 4 of the adults are retired seniors, I think the A/C will be welcome at some point during the day.

I'm on the Crown in March and would so love to hear about how the Crown bungalows make out! We have 3 or 4 reserved for our group of 28 (again, includes 'kids/teens' and thinking 'home base' too;)). So, I am curious as to what you get with the Crown. Seems some ships you still get it 'all' and others, you just get a building with a/c.

I'm on the Crown in March and would so love to hear about how the Crown bungalows make out! We have 3 or 4 reserved for our group of 28 (again, includes 'kids/teens' and thinking 'home base' too;)). So, I am curious as to what you get with the Crown. Seems some ships you still get it 'all' and others, you just get a building with a/c.

We go first week in Feb. and I am hoping someone on Crown will post in Dec. so I can decide to keep it or let it go (ya have to do that pretty early-before getting on the ship.) If we keep it, I will be sure to post.

Anybody out there just off the Crown with a bungalow? Tickets? Food served? ?????

Can anyone who has been to Princess Cays, tell me which of the bungalows are closest to the access point to the water? I think I'll be spending 50% of my time in the water, but want to be close to the bungalow as well. I don't care about privacy or being in a quiet area.... anyone know?

Thanks!

Can anyone who has been to Princess Cays, tell me which of the bungalows are closest to the access point to the water? I think I'll be spending 50% of my time in the water, but want to be close to the bungalow as well. I don't care about privacy or being in a quiet area.... anyone know?

Thanks!

Bungalow #1 is closest to the action and water access. Although we were in #12 we didn't feel we were too far away either.

Yeah, we could have gotten a ride (I did ask), but if there was a designated spot for bungalow renters to be picked up and dropped off, I didn't see it. The walk wasn't bad at all though.

And no, our waiter wasn't able to bring us food from the buffet, he could only get us drinks. (Our waiter was Alessandro from Sabatini's, whom we'd seen nearly every day either for breakfast or dinner, which makes me wonder if we even got beverage service only 'cause he'd known us). Again, the walk wasn't bad and the lines at the buffet weren't very long (there's 4 stations) but it's apparant they've discontinued the service from the way it used to be.

(We ended up in #10, the pink-purple one called "SugarApple", and on the real my biggest regret about getting a bungalow was that it wasn't hotter outside, which Princess really can't do much about :) )

Yeah, we could have gotten a ride (I did ask), but if there was a designated spot for bungalow renters to be picked up and dropped off, I didn't see it. The walk wasn't bad at all though.

And no, our waiter wasn't able to bring us food from the buffet, he could only get us drinks. (Our waiter was Alessandro from Sabatini's, whom we'd seen nearly every day either for breakfast or dinner, which makes me wonder if we even got beverage service only 'cause he'd known us). Again, the walk wasn't bad and the lines at the buffet weren't very long (there's 4 stations) but it's apparant they've discontinued the service from the way it used to be.

(We ended up in #10, the pink-purple one called "SugarApple", and on the real my biggest regret about getting a bungalow was that it wasn't hotter outside, which Princess really can't do much about :) )

Thank you for coming back and posting. I guess I'll be springing for even more money because in laws need the extra perks or else we cancel and just stay on board. I still have a little while and I will try to get imput from them. Thanks again for reporting.:)

Just got back from 10 Day Emerald. I went on the cruise w/ 3 retired friends. The Bungalow worked out perfectly for us as one of my friends just had surgery and would have been unable to walk to the Bungalow w/o the golf-cart ride. It was an overcast day w/ some sprinkles so we were able to go inside when necessary. Had full service lunch w/ waiter, drinks, and sort of our own private patio/ beach front. Also had the priority tender tickets so went right to the gangway on Deck 4 of the Emerald, rather than wait for the cattle call in the Princess Theatre. At $50 bucks a pop, we felt spoiled and loved the privacy and convenience. There was a young family w/ kiddos next to us and I know they appreciated it too. Very fun!! I love Princess Cays! Should I cruise again I will not hesitate to get a Bungalow.:D

• 2 weeks later...

Well, we were in bungalow #14, and it was fine! They gave us a ride and took us right up to the front door. Until the ride, I didn't know which one we would be in. No food service, but I needed the walk anyway (lost a pound on this cruise!). Access to the water was not far away at all. It was slightly chilly, but once you got in, it was wonderful.

Beautiful day, not too awfully hot, but I don't sit in the sun, so as my daughter sun bathed outside, I read my book and gazed out the open doors at the beautiful ocean. It was great to have the privacy of the cabin for changing. My daughter told me that the stop at Princess Cays made the entire cruise for her (even AFTER having kissed a stingray two days before!)

Still finding it, ummm.. for better lack of terminology, odd that different ships are offering the different 'amenities'. Just not having to do the 'cattle call' and fighting for a chair, makes it worth it to me. Also, have a feeling that walking for my own food won't hurt me either:o! I know I'm going to over eat on the trip:p!

Being in the bungalows.. Are you far from the 'excitement' and fun? Is it too far away, for those that want to participate, yet close enough for those that more enjoy the quiet? Just another question that was brought up in our group.. THANKS!

I am just back from my 7 day trip on the Crown Princess 12/21-12/28. We reserved a bungalow for Princess Cays and here is what we received.

6 priority tender passes

We were also given a letter that let us know about the added amenities that we could pay for. All of this for $48 per person (children under 12 are free) minimum of 2 people maximum of 6

Deluxe Bungalow Package!

- reserved beach loungers and umbrellas

- beach towels provided

- complimentary signature series Island Cocktail (alcoholic or virgin)

- bottled water

- dedicated and attentive service staff

- Served gourmet picnic luncheon

- Italian Style Antipasti

- Lobster and Mango Salad

- Artisan Cheese Board with Tropical Fruits and Fig Bread

- Island BBQ Selection

- Petite Pastry Specialties

We chose not to upgrade and thought I would post my additional comments. We did have 6 beach towels in our cabin, we did have reserved beach loungers and umbrella, we had regular ice water served to our cabin, we did have servers passing by the cabins all day - no problem to order what you would like to drink. We had cabin 6 and were within walking distance of the buffet and washroom facilities. We thought it was well worth the $199 price tag for what we received. If we had not received the priority tender tickets I would question whether it was worth it or not.

IMG_4799.JPG

The picture above shows most of what is available on the island. The far right is where the tender boats dock and the far left is the last of the beach cabins. The middle area with the dark red roof is where the BBQ is served. Most of the activities take place in the beach area between the tender dock and the BBQ area.

I am just back from my 7 day trip on the Crown Princess 12/21-12/28. We reserved a bungalow for Princess Cays and here is what we received.

6 priority tender passes

We were also given a letter that let us know about the added amenities that we could pay for. All of this for $48 per person (children under 12 are free) minimum of 2 people maximum of 6

Deluxe Bungalow Package!

- beach towels provided

- bottled water

- Island BBQ Selection

We chose not to upgrade and thought I would post my additional comments. We did have 6 beach towels in our cabin, we did have reserved beach loungers and umbrella, we had regular ice water served to our cabin, we did have servers passing by the cabins all day - no problem to order what you would like to drink. We had cabin 6 and were within walking distance of the buffet and washroom facilities. We thought it was well worth the $199 price tag for what we received. If we had not received the priority tender tickets I would question whether it was worth it or not.

IMG_4799.JPG

The picture above shows most of what is available on the island. The far right is where the tender boats dock and the far left is the last of the beach cabins. The middle area with the dark red roof is where the BBQ is served. Most of the activities take place in the beach area between the tender dock and the BBQ area.

Thank you for your post. We we will be there in January. We are waitlisted for a Bungalow, we are hoping we will get one. What are people's experiences with being on the waitlist? Do you generally get one or not?

Thanks! :)

6 priority tender passes

Deluxe Bungalow Package!

- beach towels provided

- bottled water

- Island BBQ Selection

IMG_4799.JPG

Thank you for the update. Crown seems not to do food service without paying the extra money and so far NO ONE has posted that experience. The BBQ food is often served by staff on other ships. The tender tickets are tipping the scales in favor of keeping the reservation. We go in Feb. and I'll let you know our experiences. Thanks to all of you for posting.

Thank you for your post. We we will be there in January. We are waitlisted for a Bungalow, we are hoping we will get one. What are people's experiences with being on the waitlist? Do you generally get one or not?

Thanks! :)

To answer my own question... I just checked My Princess and we are now confirmed for a bungalow, so I guess you can get one even when waitlisted. ;)

Archived