Coffee question??

muffinlover

Unless you have had coffee that is ground at the time of use, from beans that are no older than a week old, you really don't know what good coffee is. The southeast is the last place you'd find good coffee! The best coffee is from northern CA up to Washington. There, you'll find roasters with the best reviewed cups. Also, you'll find a lot of coffee shops that roast their own beans.

Caffiene is destroyed by heat, so darker roasts have less kick. Also, most coffees are better with lighter roast. A dark french roast is commonly used with poor quality beans to cover up their flaws (Starbucks does this). Costa Rica coffees are great with a city roast. Actually, Costa Rica makes some of the best coffee in the world, very under rated. Currently drinking a blend of costa rica/nicaragua pacamera peaberry espresso- yum!

Then no one in the US could ever get a good cup of coffee because unless you have fresh beans over nighted to you from the fields there is no way a shipment is being picked, packed in something to be shipped and then travel here and clear customs in less than a week. :rolleyes:

Unless you grow it yourself in your yard...LOL

Hi everyone, I am a coffee freak too, I like to grind my own on the weekends when we can really sit and enjoy our coffee. We were in Costa Rica for a cruise and I got some coffee that one of my good friends suggested, it's called Oro dark blend, brought the whole beans home and I love this stuff like gold, I'm down to my last bag so I might have to book the Miracle to get some more:D.

I also, enjoy Community Coffee and also the Starbucks Verona or the House blend. So we're definitely on the same page, try the Oro if you get a chance you won't be disappointed. Oh one more thing, when we were in Roatan they also had Oro, and I brought some home with me but it wasn't nearly as good as what I got in Costa Rica.

The room service coffee is ok, but I love to embellish it with Baileys, this makes ALL coffee good. The cappaccino in the dining room ROCKS, and it's FREE.

Enjoy!!!

Carole

Unless you have had coffee that is ground at the time of use, from beans that are no older than a week old, you really don't know what good coffee is. The southeast is the last place you'd find good coffee! The best coffee is from northern CA up to Washington. There, you'll find roasters with the best reviewed cups. Also, you'll find a lot of coffee shops that roast their own beans.

Caffiene is destroyed by heat, so darker roasts have less kick. Also, most coffees are better with lighter roast. A dark french roast is commonly used with poor quality beans to cover up their flaws (Starbucks does this). Costa Rica coffees are great with a city roast. Actually, Costa Rica makes some of the best coffee in the world, very under rated. Currently drinking a blend of costa rica/nicaragua pacamera peaberry espresso- yum!

okay there mister hoity-toity...it just so happens I have done the very thing you speak of and I STILL prefer Community Dark Roast - pre-ground.

SO, keep your fancy schmancy snobby coffee-talk up there in the Pacific Northwest where it belongs with the pretentious losers and their faux sophistication...real, down-to-earth people live down here in the southeast...New Orleans is more cosmopolitan than any city in the Pacific Northwest, you don't have half the history or rich heritage we do so :p

I bet you drink Kopi Luwak too...

okay there mister hoity-toity...it just so happens I have done the very thing you speak of and I STILL prefer Community Dark Roast - pre-ground.

SO, keep your fancy schmancy snobby coffee-talk up there in the Pacific Northwest where it belongs with the pretentious losers and their faux sophistication...real, down-to-earth people live down here in the southeast...New Orleans is more cosmopolitan than any city in the Pacific Northwest, you don't have half the history or rich heritage we do so :p

I bet you drink Kopi Luwak too...

face-raspberry.png

Just in case some may not know it, Kopi Luwak is cat poop coffee...the Luwak cat eats the beans and they brew the coffee from the cat's poop...:eek:

Cat???? I thought it was a Civet!!

Cat's poop?? I thought it was undigested coffee beans

Cat???? I thought it was a Civet!!

Cat's poop?? I thought it was undigested coffee beans

The word Luwak refers to a small wild animal native to Indonesia and Vietnam, it is also called luak, musang, toddy cat, civet, palm civet and civet-cat, many people believe it is a wild cat.

Actually this cat is a mammal that is cousin to the mongoose.

Probably it’s closest North American relative is the skunk because, like the skunk, it can excrete a noxious odor from scent glands near it’s anus.

Once the luwak eats the "coffee cherries", the coffee cherries take the normal route through the animal’s digestive path. The fruit of the coffee is digested by the cat's digestive system but the bean is left largely unchanged, eventually passing in the animals droppings (i.e. - poop, the bean is digested, it isthe acid in the cat's digestive system that changes the bean to impart the flavor most people profess to love until they find out it is cat poop)

The droppings (poop) and their caffeine-laden content are collected by farmers. The coffee is then cleaned and the green, un-roasted bean shipped to roasters.

Hence, it is cat-poop coffee...

The word Luwak refers to a small wild animal native to Indonesia and Vietnam, it is also called luak, musang, toddy cat, civet, palm civet and civet-cat, many people believe it is a wild cat.

Actually this cat is a mammal that is cousin to the mongoose.

Probably it’s closest North American relative is the skunk because, like the skunk, it can excrete a noxious odor from scent glands near it’s anus.

Once the luwak eats the "coffee cherries", the coffee cherries take the normal route through the animal’s digestive path. The fruit of the coffee is digested by the cat's digestive system but the bean is left largely unchanged, eventually passing in the animals droppings (i.e. - poop, the bean is digested, it isthe acid in the cat's digestive system that changes the bean to impart the flavor most people profess to love until they find out it is cat poop)

The droppings (poop) and their caffeine-laden content are collected by farmers. The coffee is then cleaned and the green, un-roasted bean shipped to roasters.

Hence, it is cat-poop coffee...

so...does this mean you know sh*t about coffee or jut know about sh*t coffee? :p:rolleyes:

"it is the best selling coffee in the Southeast Gulf Coast...why??...because we KNOW good coffee"

Bud Light is the best selling beer, but that doesn't mean that it's high quality. Sounds to me like coffee is a lot like beer (or wine, or cheese, or other similar things). It 's created for (and consumed by) the masses. I couldn't care less about what coffee I drink and love plain ole cheddar, but to some those are unacceptable. On the other hand, while most people are cool with Bud Light, I only drink it if it's free or the only beer available.

So basically, it sounds like if you're picky you won't like it, if not you'll be fine.

"it is the best selling coffee in the Southeast Gulf Coast...why??...because we KNOW good coffee"

Bud Light is the best selling beer, but that doesn't mean that it's high quality. Sounds to me like coffee is a lot like beer (or wine, or cheese, or other similar things). It 's created for (and consumed by) the masses. I couldn't care less about what coffee I drink and love plain ole cheddar, but to some those are unacceptable. On the other hand, while most people are cool with Bud Light, I only drink it if it's free or the only beer available.

So basically, it sounds like if you're picky you won't like it, if not you'll be fine.

good for you, I'm happy for ya...did you read the entire thread??

It probably depends on what kind of coffee you normally drink. We do not care for the coffee on Carnival. We drink our coffee black and prefer Starbucks strength coffee in the morning. That's why I always bring a french press and fresh ground coffee, and use the hot water from the carafes on the buffet. I usually get some funny looks, but I've also gotten some admiring comments, I guess depending on how they felt about the ship's coffee!! I've done this for years, and would not leave on a cruise without it!! Hope this helps!

THIS is why I love this website!!! I am going to do this! I have a French press for 1. Very small. Will fit fine right next to my fan in the suitcase!;)

All this coffee talk made me go downstairs and check the freezer to see if I need to smuggle in some more Community across the borders to Nebraska. We have been using the online order service for years. I will not tolerate a coffee that you can see the bottom of the cup. What passes for coffee here is only a step or two above a strong tea..

THIS is why I love this website!!! I am going to do this! I have a French press for 1. Very small. Will fit fine right next to my fan in the suitcase!;)

the french press is a great idea...but I always hesitated taking it because I could not figure out where to clean it out since there is no sink with a garbage disposal in the cabin.

I will gladly listen to any ideas...:D

:cool: I was gonna get a coffee press too, but it won't fit cause of all the baileys and stuff I am smuggling, lol, jk.

Ummmmmmm bulldog don't they eat those Civits too? I thought I read they were a delecacy or something? ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

You know, I heard that before too...I'll have to check to see if it's true...if it is I would agree with you...ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

All this coffee talk made me go downstairs and check the freezer to see if I need to smuggle in some more Community across the borders to Nebraska. We have been using the online order service for years. I will not tolerate a coffee that you can see the bottom of the cup. What passes for coffee here is only a step or two above a strong tea..

LOL, I have always wanted to get to Omaha for the College World Series when LSU plays...nice to meet another Tiger Fan!!!!!!!!!!!

the french press is a great idea...but I always hesitated taking it because I could not figure out where to clean it out since there is no sink with a garbage disposal in the cabin.

I will gladly listen to any ideas...:D

Why not using your gallon smuggling ziploc bag to keep the used coffee??

Archived