Horseback adventure or pony ride?

Sillysox

Hi again! hope I'm not overposting here:confused:

Anyway! My question of the minute is-- have any of you ever booked a horseback tour with RANCHO LA PONDEROSA--and how did you find it? I'm hoping for a horseback tour where you can ride a horse and feel like you have some control over direction and speed rather than a nag that just plods along behind the next one no matter what it's rider wants! Anyone been to this ranch or another that they found good?

Thanks! :p

I went on this exursion, the 45 minute trek through the Aurba countryside and then a awalk along the beach. I have never ridden a horse in my life.

I would not recommend this excursion for those who have never ridden before, the terrain can be quite trecherous, two horses fell in front of me.

I also had the horrendous experience of my horse bolting because of traffic... I would have thought all the horses would have been trained to cope with this.

You have to sign a waiver to say you will not hold the ranch responsible for any injuries that may occur. They do not hand out riding helmets you have to specifically ask for one, which I think is appalling.

Just my experience.... oh and it was the Ponderosa Ranch

• 2 weeks later...

My husband and I booked a private 3 hour horseback ride with The Gold Mine Ranch. Since it was just the 2 of us, our guide was able to determine our riding capabilities and let us canter and trot quite a bit. We saw the collapsed natural bridge, the gold mine ruins and beautiful beaches. They will pick you up just outside the main port entrance, which is only a couple of hundred yards. You can find them by searching 'horseback riding in Aruba' on the internet. They also offer 1 and 2 hour group rides.

Just went to LaPonderosa Ranch while on the Emerald Princess on November 13th. Great ride. We were picked up at the ship and had a chance to walk, trot and gallop. Horses were in great shape and the guides were knowledgeable. Pictures available for purchase for $10.00 per person. Much cheaper than the ship pics and not bad. I will be spending a week in Aruba next Saturday and will ride with them again while I am there. Hope this helps! Enjoy your trip.

You won't be disappointed with the staff or horses at Ponderosa. We went horseback riding with them during earlier this month while on the Emerald Princess. When arriving at the ranch, we were introduced to the horses and to the riding techniques by Patrick. He is a real character! He demonstrated how to handle the horses with Aurora, a horse with just as much character as Patrick! After leaving the stables, we rode through brush, past the houses and up the desert mountains to the water. The horses were ready to enjoy themselves. There were about 7 of us in the group, all of differeing riding experience, but the horses were ready to ride as easy or hard as each rider preferred. Once at the top of the mountains, we saw a huge rain cloud heading our direction, but the group choose to continue to the water. What an incredible time as the horses enjoyed the cooling weather and rain and galloped without care along the beach! We were not on horses that followed one another, and at one set speed. These horses were willing to do whatever each rider asked of him/her. And no matter your level of experience, the guides, especially Patrick, was always by your side if you felt the slightest bit uneasy. It was by far the most memorable experience of our 10-day cruise. We highly recommend Ponderosa and Patrick. Let us know how it goes.

PS......Please pass along an extra pat and nuzzle to Aurora from me!!

Archived