Spray Tan?

I have tried the spray "Mystic Tan" several times. It isn't bad but I must caution you to exfoliate your body very well before going. Also, be very careful as it can run immediate after getting out of the booth. Also, it does come off in water so, again, there is a chance of running/streaking. I am from the Chicago area and always tan in the winter prior to a vacation where a swimsuit and shorts are required. I'm cruising Western Carib. in March and I think I'm going to use the tanning bed as opposed to the spray tan. I would suggest giving it a try about a month prior to your vacation. If you do not like it, you'll still have time to use the tanning bed before you leave. Good Luck!!!

There are 2 types of spray tans...both use the same chemicals and work equally well...however there's one I prefer over another and use it whenever I go on vacation...

The first type (the one I don't use) is called MYSTIC TAN. You stand in a booth and the spray hits your body...you have to jump around to make sure the spray hits your body evenly. If it doesn't it can come out splotchy.

The second type (that I do use) is an airbrushed tan. The active ingredient works the same way; however, someone physically sprays you using an airbrush machine (like for nails or t-shirts). The good thing is the other person can physically see if areas are missing and go back for touch-ups. I've used this several times and like the results a lot...It costs more because you have another person using their expertise.

If you decide to go with a tan in a bottle (has the same active ingredients too!), I recommend Ban de Soliel Streakguarde Foam...it works REALLY well without a lot of that strange odor you get from other bootle tans. I also use a clean sponge to apply the color evenly...Works great!

Hope this helps!

All it is is the kind of self tanner that has been sold in drug stores for ever. Only difference now is, they put it in an airbrush and charge a fortune for it.

The product has changed a lot over the years and if you get the "good" ones, they don't turn you orange. I'm a cosmetologyst and I use them every year! Just be careful because they don't offer any protection from the sun the way that a natural tan does. For BEST results, get a tan, and use self tanner over it!;)

I used a product called Fake Bake before our last cruise in April. It is a self tanning lotion and did not look orange. I applied it before bedtime, then showered it off in the morning. It looked very natural and did not get splotchy as it wore off. I did this 2 or 3 times before our trip.

I bought it in the hair salon I use, but have also seen it in places like Merle Norman.

I will be using it again in a couple of weeks for our Jan 2 cruise on the Radiance.

I'm a big "burner" (www.burningman.com) which takes place in the Nevada desert the week before labor day.

After moving to the East Coast four years ago I decided to go to the event again, but had lost all of my natural tan from living near the coast.

I wanted something that would make me "seem" not quite so white on the playa (realizing, of course, that there is no "protection" in any of the spray on tans).

I went with two week of "tanning bed" tanning, and then a "Mystic Tan".

I was very happy with the results, because as my Mystic Tan was fading my natural tan was building so I ended up with quite a natural looking progression.

I had a friend with us on our last cruise that did a "spray on tan" at their local gym. It wasn't a Mystic Tan, it was basically the same chemical but put into a "pumb up sprayer" and then sprayed on by the gym operator. Frankly it just didn't look as natural as the Mystic Tan! It reminded me of that horrible episode of Absolutely Fabulous where Edina had the lady come to her home to give her a spray tan.

With Mystic tan you watch a video prior to your automated booth spray. This video covers exactly what you're supposed to do while your in the booth, and most importantly how to apply the blocker to your hands, feet, and nails and any other areas you don't want "developed". The Mystic tan also utilizes an atomizer spray vs. just a basic pressure spray resulting in a much finer and more even coverage.

The process takes about the first 24 hours to fully "develop" and at the peek of this 24 hours the result is a quite dramaticly dark "tan" for most people. The results then gradually fade over the next four days.

I found that using the tanning booth two weeks prior to having the Mystic Tan really set my skin up to be much more receptive to the developing process. Natural UV tanning tends to have a more "exfoliant" nature as you slough older dead skin. Also make sure that a tleast one (but I recommend two) weeks prior you use NO sunscreen products on your skin. Most sunscreens today work chemically and can stay absorbed into older/dead surface skin which can result in a "splotchy" spray tan (thus the need to exfoliate well prior to your spray tan).

The Mystic Tan process utilizing the blocker is the ONLY way your going to get something that looks natural. Otherwise, without the blocker you end up with nails, and palms, and other areas that shouldn't be tanned looking spotchy and runny because of the tough skin nature of those area.

Hope this helps!

-Zac

I prefer Kraylon's dark beige #7 available at Ace's Hardware. It is kind of toxic and leaves a sort of metallic taste in your mouth but is advertised to be non-drip. I would recommend putting a little Vaseline on your eyelids to keep them from being pasted together when the paint dries. I would also recommend this for other usable orifices of the body. At $6.75 per spray can, what a bargain!

What I find interesting, is that people that make fun of such "cosmetic" type treatments or call them "vanity", are usually the same people pointing and snickering at less than perfect people to begin with...

I say, do whatever is going to make YOU feel comfortable in any given situation and try hard not to care what other people think.

-Zac

I wish someone would mail this thread to a lady I often see at the grocery store. Probably mid sixties, absolutely incredible figure, great hair, flashy clothes and jewelry, seems meticulous with her appearance, but she has ORANGE skin, and I don't mean just a hint of orange, Im talking TANGERINE. My 10 year old was freaking out yesterday, wondering what kind of disease causes such a scary skin color. I had to explain fake tans and she was quite relieved to know this was not something she could catch!

I've always avoided fake tan stuff for fear I'd look like that, but I am glad to hear that there are some good possibilities out there.

JodiBB, I just wanted to thank you for recommending the airbrushed tan ... I love it!! The results are unbelievable. If you are a shy person, I'd recommend the booth spray tan. Luckily, I'm not! I'll definitely try this again the next time I'm in need of a quick fix. We leave tomorrow ;o)

Thanks again!

Beth

Archived