motu mahana stop/location question

flyerdreamer

Getting ready for our 3/6 cruise. I called PG and asked if Motu Mahana would be on our itinerary in light of the recent damage. After some checking, she said that unlike the 2/26 cruise, we wouldn't be spending an additional day in Bora Bora but returning to Motu Mahana. We're the first cruise to do so since the cyclone. Or so it is planned any way. I don't know what we will find but will let you know what we see and post pics when we return.

Does anyone here have the location and or coordinates of the motu? It's not on maps, and wanted to find it maybe on google maps. Or,at best, is it on the north side, west, what side of the island? Thank you!

First, congratulations on your upcoming voyage! I envy you!

I think Taha'a would serve best if you're looking for online coordinates for Motu Mahana.

Please let us know how the snorkeling is in the pass off the motu. It was so beautiful closer to the breaks and rocks last summer and I wonder if there has been damage. I look forward to your pictures!

I think Taha'a would serve best if you're looking for online coordinates for Motu Mahana.

I know, one would think, but no amount of googling (even with the word taha'a included) has revealed the top secret location of this little gem. Surely someone at some point was lying on the beach, a coconut drink in one hand and a gps in the other! :)

Please let us know how the snorkeling is in the pass off the motu. It was so beautiful closer to the breaks and rocks last summer and I wonder if there has been damage. I look forward to your pictures!

We sure will--with an under and over water report! IF we do in fact go. I loved both the Bora Bora motu and this one on a previous voyage and hope we can visit this time.

If you search for Bora Bora on google maps, and see the entire island, you'll see another pair of islands somewhat southeast. This is Taha'a/Raiatea, which are really a pair of islands enclosed, I believe, within the same lagoon.

Motu Mahana is at the north end of Taha'a. If you can't figure this out, let me know and I'll save a map for you so you can see.

Motu Mahana is at the north end of Taha'a. If you can't figure this out, let me know and I'll save a map for you so you can see.

Yes, you can zoom right in on Taha'a (very cool!) but we are trying to find motu mahana itself, or thereabouts. There are a lot of motu! So due north? Northwest? Many thanks if you can help narrow it down, Wendy!!

You can see Bora Bora from the ship, when it's anchored over towards the motu (the second day during the two-day stay on the 7-day Societies trip.)

I remember figuring this out last time I went, but I can't find it on google maps--as I remember it's pretty well on the north side. The ship re-positions around Taha'a on the morning after the day in Raiatea (again, on the Societies itinerary.)

That's the Bora Bora motu--the BB Pearl hotel. Although I don't think you're supposed to walk over there, unless you're a guest.

Nah. There were no restrictions at all. The beach is public as are all the beaches in FP. They were happy to take our money at the snack bar, but to use the pool there was a sign you'd need to present a room key, but that's like any hotel. We soon wandered back to "our" beach, which was prettier IMO.

I still have a memory of walking to the right at motu mahana and seeing a row of overwater bungalows tho.... Strange. I guess the above happened at Bora Bora. :)

I still have a memory of walking to the right at motu mahana and seeing a row of overwater bungalows tho.... Strange. I guess the above happened at Bora Bora. :)

Yep. I've walked all the way around motu mahana. Just a bunch of scrubby palms, with another motu close by, swimable. Guess those scrubby palms are all gone now. Sigh.

I agree the Bora Bora motu beach is the best, absolutely.

• 4 weeks later...

I hate to ask but will do so anyway... where do I begin my walk on the Bora Bora beach day to get to the resort? It's to the right, past the drink hut correct?

Nah. There were no restrictions at all. The beach is public as are all the beaches in FP. They were happy to take our money at the snack bar, but to use the pool there was a sign you'd need to present a room key, but that's like any hotel. We soon wandered back to "our" beach, which was prettier IMO.

Yes, to the right as you're facing the island, along with a fence and signs telling you to keep out.

LOL! I didn't see any signs, but I do remember a house, with lots of local people outside, between the drink hut and what was likely the resort. I also went snorkeling in front of that house and saw some OWB's close by so that must have been the BBP. Nuff said on topic. If I go, I go via water or land without any advertisement.

Also, while on the tender coming to the BB beach, our tender captain requested people not walk past a small beached boat to the left. Later that morning I saw a snorkel excursion pull up to that beach which I thought odd because I snorkled close to that verbal barrier and there was nothing but sand. Maybe there's a drop off there I was not privy too. Good thing I can go back and research this stuff. :)

It's all changed from the last time i went back in 2006. Was there a few weeks ago and we were totally penned in my the inhabitants' homes on both sides and were told not to trespass. The way they treated their dogs, I was too afraid to test the waters. Might have ended up in the next day's poisson cru. :)

It's all changed from the last time i went back in 2006. Was there a few weeks ago and we were totally penned in my the inhabitants' homes on both sides and were told not to trespass. The way they treated their dogs, I was too afraid to test the waters. Might have ended up in the next day's poisson cru. :)

"Penned in" is an excellent description, Flyer.

Looks like it to me! Thanks!

motu.png

I love that it's shaped like a heart.

BTW - I am SO, SO jealous that you will soon be on your fifth journey on PG. Two times was not enough for me but I'm not sure when I can return.

I love that it's shaped like a heart.

BTW - I am SO, SO jealous that you will soon be on your fifth journey on PG. Two times was not enough for me but I'm not sure when I can return.

I was a little worried that we might never go again (after Regent's departure), but the ship was calling us home...

Archived