Paul Gauguin over Christmas

elmwood

We've left it late and may not be able to book a cruise for this year, but would welcome some advice on what it is like to sail on the Paul Gauguin over Christmas. What should we expect in terms of special events, passenger demographics and weather?

A little background on us might help when answering. We have done one cruise with Regent on the Navigator, loved it so much that we are booked to go to the Baltic with them on the Mariner (a solo trip without offspring) next July. We often go away at Christmas and new year, but have never done a cruise then. We are scrambling to arrange something this year as my father recently died and we would have been celebrating his 90th birthday with him in England over Christmas. We would be travelling with our sixteen year old son - well travelled, likes good food, comfortable around adults, loves snorkelling and swimming.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

I've never done it but have been on the ship just before Xmas. We were told by staff that there would be a significant number of families onboard, so this would be good for your son.

I can't imagine a better place to spend Christmas, especially if you want to get away from your more traditional celebrations.

Agree with Wendy. We went in Dec 07 with our two adult daughters. It was the 10 day, returning on 12-23, so we did not stay over Christmas. There are always lots of family groups on the PG sailings, due to the emphasis on water sports. I don't remember much in the way of special celebrations, but then as I say, we departed before Xmas.

In terms of the weather, we were warned that Dec. is the rainiest month. However our experience was that the seas were calm, and dry - it only rained once at the end, when back in Papeete! I did not notice that there was any more humidity than in the summer, although again, it is supposed to be a bit more tropical at that time of year.

I don't know what you meant when you said you "left it late", but we only booked 3-4 months in advance when we went on the 6-26 sailing this time.......

Thank you, Wendy and Sue, for the information. I thought we might have difficulty booking for this Christmas, but will see what my TA can come up with. The main thing we want is to be away somewhere completely different and if the emphasis is on watersports and other children and teenagers will be along, I think it will be just what we are looking for.

Archived