Scooters and Amtrak

maggiesmom121

Has anyone taken an Amtrak train and a scooter (plus luggage). I can walk to board the train and find my seat, so I would need to leave it at the base of the steps. I will call Amtrak with this question when I am ready to book, but want to hear your thoughts first.

BTW the stations would be New York, Baltimore (and then a cab to the ports)and next year considering a short trip to Chicago via sleeping car.

Thanks

I have not taken a scooter onboard, but we did go from DC to Ft. Lauderdale a couple of years ago, and I don't think the entrance way to the cars are wide enough for one. You probably will have to "check it" in the baggage car if they have one (not all trains do). They don't mention scooters on their webiste, but here is what they do have:

Making Reservations for Accessible Space

How to Make Reservations

Presently, we do not offer the ability to reserve accessible space on Amtrak.com. Instead, please make reservations for accessible accommodations through any of the following means:

By telephone: Please call 1-800-USA-RAIL (1-800-872-7245). Agents are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.By TDD/TTY: Please call 1-800-523-6590. Agents are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.At an Amtrak ticket counter: Ticket agents at staffed stations can sell tickets during regular ticket office hours. Please call 1-800-USA-RAIL (1-800-872-7245) for details.When Reservations Are Required

To ensure that you get the space and accommodations you require, you must make a reservation for any of the following:

Wheelchair spaceTransfer seats (for when you travel in a seat and stow your wheelchair)Accessible sleeper accommodationsWe require that you make reservations for such accommodations on all trains, including on "unreserved trains" (on which reservations for ordinary seats are not required).

Accessible space is limited. Please make your reservation as far in advance of travel as possible.

Who May Reserve Accessible Accommodations

Up until 14 days prior to the departure of each train from its origin city, reservations for accessible bedrooms may be made only for passengers who are mobility impaired.

After this period, and if all other Deluxe and Family bedrooms have been reserved, accessible bedrooms are made available to all passengers on a first-come, first-served basis. For this reason, we urge you to make your reservations as far in advance of travel as possible.

Details About Discounts

Amtrak offers a rail fare discount to passengers with disabilities. To receive the discount you must book your reservation by telephone or at a ticket counter. Sorry, discounts are not available when you book online.

You must also provide written documentation of disability at the ticket counter and when boarding the train.

Acceptable documentation includes:

Transit system ID cardMembership card from a disabilities organizationLetter from a physician.

Cheers,

I have only used the auto train. (Lorton, VA to Orlando, FL) They do give a 20% discount on the handicap rooms.

When we came on, they didn't have wheelchair ramps. I use a cane or walker, and the halls are not wide enough for a walker. They did have wheelchair ramps on the return trip to accommodate those who couldn't get out of their wheelchairs. They stowed scooters in a seperate car.

I would be careful about walking...the dining cars are usually up a spiral staircase with handholds. The motion of the car can be quite difficult to maneuver. I thought it would be like a cruise ship...it was much more violent. However, there are cabin stewards who will bring you your meal, snacks, water, hot chocolate, coffee, etc.

The handicap cabin is at the rear of each car, and there's significantly more motion.

On our return trip we switched our cabin from the handicap car to the deluxe sleeper. While sleeping was considerably more comfortable, as it was the upper car and less movement, the bathroom is absolutely not accessible.

I did think the train had less hassles than an airport.

Enjoy your trip!

• 1 month later...

I often take Amtrak with my scooter. Some trains store a portable ramp onboard and will install it when needed for boarding and exiting. The doorways are sufficiently wide at the marked wheelchair accessible cars. I drive my scooter onto the train and then transfer to a regular seat for the journey.

I do need to request a wheelchair space when purchasing my ticket and I ask a conductor from my train which door he wishes me to use to board and where to park my scooter. Once I am situated, the conductor that helped me checks with me periodically to see if I need anything and keeps track of my destination to install the ramp for my exit.

I have not used a sleeper car with my scooter. I think the train is less hassle than flying, also, but not necessarily more economical.

Archived