Avis or Hertz on Tahiti?

ALB0711

We are renting a car for our last day on Tahiti after getting off the PG. Will pickup car downtown and return to the airport. We would like to drive all the way around Tahiti, have dinner back at the dock at one of the roulettes and then return the car to the airport for the long, painful, sad, disappointing, horrible, unnecessary and downright disgusting trip back home. :eek:

I can get a car with unlimited kilometers for 10,850 xpf from Avis or a car for 3,825 xpf PLUS 57 xpf per kilometer from Hertz. I'm having a hard time guessing how much we will drive going all the way around. Would 100 kilometers seem about right? I'm trying to do the math to determine best rental to use.

Also - does anybody know if there is a gas station at the airport or should we top the tank off in town before making the final drive to our long, painful, sad, disappointing, horrible, unnecessary and downright disgusting trip back home?

Thanks!

Figure about 115 -120

That gets you all the way around plus back to the airport

Nothing right next to the airport to get gas at. There is a station you can't miss about halfway from the marina to the airport, it sits on the side of a hill on the ocean side.

Figure about 115 -120

That gets you all the way around plus back to the airport

Nothing right next to the airport to get gas at. There is a station you can't miss about halfway from the marina to the airport, it sits on the side of a hill on the ocean side.

Thanks Tiki - rental costs between the teo copmanies with 120 k is only 135xpf difference. Sounds like Avis knows how far you are likely to drive. I think I'll go with Avis and their fixed rate.

• 1 month later...

We have made car rental reservations with Avis on Tahiti for one day during our pre-cruise hotel stay & on Moorea for one day during our post-cruise hotel stay. They were made with each island's office separately. The Tahiti office is recommending to pay in advance to avoid wasting time filling out the paperwork when picking up the car. Although Sandrine in the Moorea office hasn't suggested this. We're wondering if anyone has prepaid in advance and what your experience was, any problems?? Thanks, GG

Archived