Progresso to Merida trip

kdphoto

We were on the Elation last week with a stop in Progresso (5/31). We decided at the last minute to take a trip to Merida but didn't book it on the ship. Instead, we signed up with one of those tour guides just past the customs point on the dock.

Had an air conditioned bus trip to Merida with a guide telling us all about the area. We drove thru part of old Merida and then they let us off on the square for an hour before it was time to go back. This was just not enough time to do anything! Didn't have time to go in any of the historical buildings because my wife wanted to do a little shopping.

Our friends with us on the ship decided to book a tour thru the ship and had a much better time in Merida than we did. Their tour allowed them more time downtown and they actually got to see the cathedral and a couple of other buildings.

My suggestion: book thru the ship and not thru one of the independant operators. If you go thru the ship you know you will be back in time to re-board.

My suggestion is to take the bus to Merida and plan your day in advance with research. Much to do and see including the carriage rides. Also a good lunch. Depending on the bus the bus you choose, you can pay as little as $2 round trip or as much as $8 roundtrip. The bus terminal in Merida is three blocks from the central plaza in the historical center of the city. Me? I'm headed back for two full weeks.

• 3 months later...

When I was on the Elation in April 2005, we got off the ship and found a van and a guide (who spoke perfect English) to take us to both Merida and Dzibilchaltun (Mayan ruins). The total cost for eight of us was $100 + tip. We had plenty of time in Merida and Dzibilchaltun. I even had time to find a Internet cafe and spent 15-20 checking e-mail. At Dzibilchaltun, we hired another guide there for about $10 (guides at the ruins apparently have to be registered or at least thats what they told us).

Our guide, Rickey, was friendly and knowledgeable. He took us to several points of interest in Merida and waited for us while we were at the ruins (about 1 1/2 hours). Overall, we had a great experience and I would recommend this type of arrangement to anyone visiting Progreso. We never felt unsafe or hurried at any time. All of the people we encountered we friendly and accomodating. We ended up eating lunch at a Subway in Merida. I have seen other posts where people say that Progreso is not worth visiting. I would very much disagree. Progreso/Merida was one of the most interesting, history filled places I have visited in any of my seven cruises.

I don't know from experience, but I imagine the cuise line excursions in Progreso would be similar, but more expensive and not as personal.

My daughter and I took a bus to Merida in August for about $3.50 each. The bus was comfotable and well air conditioned.

Once in merida, we spent a couple of hours exploring and then hired a taxi with an English speaking driver to take us to Dzibilchaltun and then back to the ship for $40. It was a great day (although very hot) and very economical.

Archived