Romantic dinning suggestions?

CoteClan

We are taking our first cruise on the Ecstasy on our 9th wedding anniversary and will be at port in Progreso on the actual day of our anniversary.

We'd like to have a nice relaxing day of shopping and most importantly a quiet, romantic lunch together...we were told that there may not be a table for 2 available that evening for dinner, so lunch will have to do.

Could some of you please give us suggestions on some great places to eat at this port and costs?

We'd appreciate any help planning our day. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys.

I would definitely get out of Progreso and go to Merida. There is a very fine restaurant called Los Almendros ( http://www.almendros.mx) that serves authentic Yucatecan cuisine. You can shop in the old downtown section near the bus station where the real Mayans shop. There are real hammock shops, for instance, where the folks who live there buy theirs, and hats, too. Merida is one of my favorite cities--busy but every block or so has a nice plaza with shade and iron benches. Enjoy yourselves. And definitely have the chocolate cake at Almendros--it is unbelievable with Mexican chocolate ( hint of cinnamon) and made with brown "paleta" sugar! Scrumptious!

bgood

For a romatic lunch, I would suggest Portico del Perregrino on Calle 57 between Calles 60 and 62. Very pretty courtyard restaurant with lots of greenery and vines and the food is very good. I had the Pollo Pibille just 10 days ago and it was great. It's an old Mayan favorite. Half a chicken with seasonings and wrapped in banana leaves and baked. Outstanding. And very romantic. I tend to forego the upscale hotels for authenticity. Remember; this area is not at all like the border towns or Cancun/Cozumel. It is true Mexico.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived