Help!! cruise cancelled, now going to progresso

mzloolue

This morning our cruise was cancelled on Celebration, but I was able to snag the last cabins on Ecstacy, but I have spent hours and hours researching for our cruise and now I am at a loss with no plans.

I have quickly gathered from this forum that snorkling is not good in Progreso.

So what is there to do that is not shopping, swimming pools, or drinking???

mzloolue. Besides here on the Port of Call board, check out this very good visitor's guide for the Yucatan State. http://www.yucatantoday.com It is the real Mexico and not at all like Cancun or Cozumel (thankfully). Merida is a beautiful Spanish colonial city. There are major ruins that can be visited. Many many options. If you need more help, email me. hdawson228@aol.com (two port calls and subsequently three land vacations)

Mzloolue: From what I have gathered on the boards tonight, you were on the 8/21 Celebration and are now on the 8/21 Ecstasy, right? You need to join our roll call, we will be on that cruise too. Welcome aboard, glad you could make it. Sorry about your cruise being cancelled. Were you driving or did you have to change flight plans? There are four of us, Hubby and myself and my 12 and 16 y/o daughters, plus his 21 y/o daughter is the lead singer on board. Our plans for Progreso are to go to the ruins at Dzibilchaltun. They are smaller than Chichen Itza or Uxmal, but are only about 30 minutes from Progreso. Hoping to have a little beach and/or shopping time after.

Thank you hdawson and centralcalicruzer!

How hot do you think it will be?

Last August we visited Tulum and then went snorkling.

And I was really interested in the ruins, which are beautiful, and I really just wanted to sit down and enjoy them, but it was so incredibly hot that it was almost unbearable. Since this is the same week and the same general area, I fear the it will be just as hot.

Yeah, I have heard from several who have done those ruins in the last couple of weeks that it has been really hot, so we are prepared. We really want to see them and don't know when or if we will ever have a chance to again. We are hoping to get off the ship pretty early, since it docks at 7:00. (I'm realistic about getting a teenager and a pre-teen off the ship early - I know it won't be before 8:00!)

We actually get higher temps than that here in central California, we recently had about three straight weeks of 100+ (up to 109). But it is really dry, so does not feel as hot. I know it will be really humid in Mexico, last year we were on the Mexican Riviera and it was in the high 80's but so humid it felt so much hotter than we are used to. H Dawson, I am not a hat person, never have been, look terrible in them and don't even own one. Do you think I will be okay as long as I have cool clothing and lots of water? I never wore a hat in Puerto Vallarta or Mazatlan.

OMG, we leave tomorrow for LAX, can't wait!

Archived