Will this work? Any helpful hints?

toastyreward

Hi,

We're adventure travelers and have gone many places with our 2.5 year old. Next week we are going on a cruise that stop at Progreso and from reading the posts on this site, this is the itinerary I'm thinking of, but is it too ambitious?

Wake up early, take the shuttle into town and find the main bus stop to take the bus to Meridia. See Meridia, then go to the American Fiesta hotel and get a cab that will take us to the ruins of "D," then back to Progreso.

Is it safe/comfortable to take a 2-year-old on the public bus ride to Meridia?

Do we need a car seat for the taxi?

Should we take our stroller with us to use in Meridia?

Thanks, all input is helpful as we're not sure what to expect.

Toastyreward. Don't take the stroller. Most sidewalks in Merida (and Progreso) are narrow. Merida is very safe and clean. I think you will be able to get your cab in the historical area without the need to go to the Fiesta Americana. Hopefully you will take time for the carriage ride to Paseo Montejo before you head to the Ruins and Progreso.

Need help or have qustions? http://www.hdawson228@aol.com

I was hoping you'd respond as I hear you're the Master of Meridia. Can you help me nail down the logistics? My biggest concern is the public bus ride as we once took one from Cancun to Playa de Carmen (5 years ago) and found ourselves amid live chickens, multiple stops, and three people to a seat! Can't do that with a toddler...

Where do we catch the bus? How long is the ride? How much time should we save for the ruins? How much do you think the taxi ride from Meridia, to the ruins, and then onto the port will cost?

Thanks, tried, the e-mail address you left, but it bounced back.

Toasty, I disagree with HDawson. I would take the stroller. I took my 2 year old and 11 year old to Merida. The stroller was a lifesaver. Unless you enjoy carrying a sweaty, squirmy, tired toddler around in the 90 degree heat. I just found it more comfortable for all involved. I could put her down and she could snooze if she wanted to, or just take in the sights. The sidewalks are narrow, but everyone is courteous and you won't have any trouble gettng around. Just my tiny little opinion.:) The locals will love your little one. They certainly were very friendly and sweet to mine. Have a great time!

Archived