Uxmal on your own Price???

megsterl

Hi thinking about renting a car in progreso and driving to Uxmal. We are there for 8 hours that should be more than enough time right? How are the rentals iat ace rental?? I have looked on line and seen the price to rent a car but am wondering how much it is to get into uxmal. Also does anyone have or know where i can find a map so i can look at the driving directions?

Hi! My husband and I will be doing the same thing in about a week and a half. I have reserved a car through acerentacar.com. They have a place right off of the port. There was one poster who had a problem with them (they weren't open when he went to get his car). I have heard good things about them too. They don't ask for a credit card when you reserve a car online so there isn't any way for them to bill you for no reason. I am more concerned with the credit card deposit. I have heard that they can charge up to $1,000 usd for a deposit. That seems a little ridiculous so we will have to check up on that when we get there. I am sure that there are other options for car rental companies, Avis I believe has a place in Merida. We have a tiny car on reserve (seen the movie Just Married??? - it is just like that super tiny car). It is only $10.00 per day plus insurance. I still figure that is cheaper than a taxi.

As for the drive to Uxmal, I believe that it is about a 50 mile drive from Merida. Search for Uxmal on google and you will get some good information. I haven't seen any prices for entering the park except that there is a nominal park entrance fee. There are a few websites below for your information:

This website has awesome photographs and a map of Uxmal, click on the photos link on the top right of the page.

mayaruins.com/uxmal01.html

This website just gives you an overview with hours of operation:

http://www.yucatantoday.com/destinations/eng-uxmal.htm

I hope that you find what you are looking for! Enjoy your trip and I will try to post when we return to give you more details.

Happy Vacationing!

countdown.pl?name=texaspowercat&date=3-5-2007&image=Beach-10&text=Our First Cruise!!!!&ship=Ecstasy

My family of four just made the trip to Uxmal and had a great time. We felt like renting a car to Uxmal would be our best value and we were right on target. Ace/Executive rental car is basically your only option. We rented a Jeep for $72 for the day. Deposit is required and I believe it is now $2k (could depend on the vehicle). Your credit card is not charged and the deposit basically insures they get their vehicle back.

Ace is right off of the pier and will get you in your car as quick as American rental car companies.

Trip to Uxmal is about 1.5 hours and a great drive. The drive itself is actually half of the fun and the open air Jeep added to the trip (although my kids were cold during the morning drive in). The route to Uxmal is very well marked and a great road to travel. Much of it is four lanes. Traffic in this part of the Yucatan is similar to the US in that most vehicles are traveling faster than posted speed limits.

Uxmal is amazing. I've been to Chichen Itza and certainly think Uxmal is just as fascinating and probably more beautiful. Driving in, we were able to pay for parking with a US dollar but the ticket counter would only take pesos. Fortunately, a bank machine was on site but I believe the service charge was 75 pesos which is around $7.50. Guides are on hand for a minimum of 450 pesos for an 1.5 hour tour which we declined.

It seems that the Yucantan is less inclined to cater to English speaking guests as tourist areas in Quintana Roo but you can certainly manage not knowing any Spanish.

Considering the cruise excursion was $70-$80 per person, we saved considerable $ doing this one our own. Even after lunch, gas and buying a few shirts and souveniers we saved quite a few dollars.

Let me know if I can help you with any other information.

Wow! Great post! Thanks for all of the info! Where is the best place to exchange usd to pesos without paying a fee? Was there a park entrance fee or just the parking fee? One more question, did you purchase all of the insurance when you rented the Jeep?

Thanks for taking the time to give us information!

• 2 months later...
My family of four just made the trip to Uxmal and had a great time. We felt like renting a car to Uxmal would be our best value and we were right on target. Ace/Executive rental car is basically your only option. We rented a Jeep for $72 for the day. Deposit is required and I believe it is now $2k (could depend on the vehicle). Your credit card is not charged and the deposit basically insures they get their vehicle back.

Just curious if the deposit is attibuted in any way to the damage in the event of an accident? Sometimes the fine print reads that even though you purchase the insurance a deductible may apply or it only covers up to a certain amount.

Considering the cruise excursion was $70-$80 per person, we saved considerable $ doing this one our own. Even after lunch, gas and buying a few shirts and souveniers we saved quite a few dollars.

What is the park entrance fee per person?

I was trying to reserve a jeep in advance but the web site doesn't show a rental pick up at the pier. Is there something I need to do or is there someone I need to call to do this.

Thanks, Chris

Ace is right off of the pier and will get you in your car as quick as American rental car companies.

Trip to Uxmal is about 1.5 hours and a great drive. The drive itself is actually half of the fun and the open air Jeep added to the trip (although my kids were cold during the morning drive in). The route to Uxmal is very well marked and a great road to travel. Much of it is four lanes. Traffic in this part of the Yucatan is similar to the US in that most vehicles are traveling faster than posted speed limits.

Uxmal is amazing. I've been to Chichen Itza and certainly think Uxmal is just as fascinating and probably more beautiful. Driving in, we were able to pay for parking with a US dollar but the ticket counter would only take pesos. Fortunately, a bank machine was on site but I believe the service charge was 75 pesos which is around $7.50. Guides are on hand for a minimum of 450 pesos for an 1.5 hour tour which we declined.

It seems that the Yucantan is less inclined to cater to English speaking guests as tourist areas in Quintana Roo but you can certainly manage not knowing any Spanish.

• 3 months later...

Archived