Transfer from LGA to NCL Manhattan port

tinykygal

Calling on all the experienced cruisers. Which do you prefer and why?

Cruise ship transfer or private? I have contacted several recommended private companies and have not received a response and my DH who is traveled more than I is very skeptical of cabs due to $$$ and "NYC is a big city." It is totally unlike our small town in Eastern KY.:)

Thank you for your input, greatly appreciated.

Calling on all the experienced cruisers. Which do you prefer and why?

Cruise ship transfer or private? I have contacted several recommended private companies and have not received a response and my DH who is traveled more than I is very skeptical of cabs due to $$$ and "NYC is a big city." It is totally unlike our small town in Eastern KY.:)

Thank you for your input, greatly appreciated.

I would recommend either taking the taxi (since it's only about 10 miles between LGA and the NCL/Manhattan cruise terminal-but that depends on the traffic at the time) or using SuperShuttle. SuperShuttle is very popular here in NYC and the charge is not too expensive. A shared van is $16 for first person and $12 for each additional guest. They also have private van service for $115.

I just went to the New York Taxi and Limousine Commission's website and I stand corrected. The flat $45 is the rate from JFK Airport to Manhattan, not LaGuardia.

Does anyone know how much this will run us? Or should we just arrange a shuttle?

Thanks- Beth:rolleyes:

I just went to the New York Taxi and Limousine Commission's website and I stand corrected. The flat $45 is the rate from JFK Airport to Manhattan, not LaGuardia.

Does anyone know how much this will run us? Or should we just arrange a shuttle?

Yes, you are right, the flat rate of $45 is from JFK. If you take a taxi from LGA, it's about $30, but a lot depends on the traffic. If there are only two of you, SuperShuttle wouldn't be a bad choice, since the total is around $28 (plus tax/tips). The only downside is you might not be the first person to get off the van, since this is a shared van and other passengers might be dropped off first.

Beth,

Last year when we took a cab from LaGardia to dowtown Manhattan it was around $29 + $4 toll for the Lincoln tunnel. When you get in the taxi line they hand you a sheet of paper that explains the tolls, etc. If you decide not to use the tunnel and use the bridge ($2 toll last year) it will take longer and the fare ends up being about the same. Just make sure that you fasten your seat belt..hahahaha See you Friday at our meet and greet unless you all decide to join us at the Bimini Bar on the very top deck before/after muster.

Tom

Tom and Jane-

Think we are going with the Super Shuttle upon arrival as our flight lands at 9:45AM so we are not in a huge hurry.

On return, we are going to go with the taxi. We'll just chalk it up as one final adventure on vacation.

We are getting close now!!! You might recognize us on board- My husband has packed every Iowa Hawkeyes piece of clothing that he owns ( I gave up, I'm just happy he'll be on the ship) and I'll be the exhausted spouse next to him as I will have worked the last 6 nights in a row prior to leaving!

See you Friday at the Meet and Greet!

Beth

Hi John,

My CC log-on is TinyKyGal. We are UK - Big Blue Fans.

I also am searching for an alternate transportation from LGA to port.

I found a site for Super Shuttle - http://www.supershuttle.com

I cannot tell you if this is "the site" but the rate is $16 per person for a shared van. We will not be in a big rush because our flight is early; however, I don't think I will be in the mood to wait for the ship transfer.

What are your thoughts? What time will you and your px. be arriving? Is that LGA or JFK?

Tom and Jane-

Think we are going with the Super Shuttle upon arrival as our flight lands at 9:45AM so we are not in a huge hurry.

On return, we are going to go with the taxi. We'll just chalk it up as one final adventure on vacation.

We are getting close now!!! You might recognize us on board- My husband has packed every Iowa Hawkeyes piece of clothing that he owns ( I gave up, I'm just happy he'll be on the ship) and I'll be the exhausted spouse next to him as I will have worked the last 6 nights in a row prior to leaving!

See you Friday at the Meet and Greet!

Beth

Jane gave up to. I am taking a lot of Marshall Thundering Herd Stuff (Shirts, hats, wind shirts, etc.). Think I was going to a game instead of a cruise...hahahaha Only reason we take a cab (we arrive around 10:40 a.m. Wednesday) is because we can't wait to go into Manhattan and get some Pizza!!!!!!! Safe Travels.

Tom

If you read enough on the NYC tripadvisor.com board you will find that supershuttle does not have a very good reputation. I have used them in DC and were ok with them however, NYC cabs are really efficient and if memory serves me, the cost is comparible between the two. Supershuttle shuttles everyone around and if you're the last one off then you've spent too much time on board! You should feel completely comfortable in the NYC cabs. By all means, do not accept rides from car services who might approach you at the airport. Their rates tend to "change" after you get in the car. Stick with the cab line, no matter how long it is. The line moves very fast.

Hi,

How do you arrange for the Super Shuttle?

John

You can either pre-arrange it by going to their website (supershuttle.com) or after you have arrived at the airport, exit and find the area where they have people there to assist you. I am quoting the info from their website: "LGA – Claim your luggage then follow the signs to the Ground Transportation Desk near the Baggage Claim area. You can either call SuperShuttle directly on the courtesy phone or ask an agent at the desk to arrange for SuperShuttle service."

As for bad service, I am sure people complain about our cabs and limos too.:)

...Supershuttle shuttles everyone around and if you're the last one off then you've spent too much time on board!...

Yes, since this is a shared van service, you may or may not be the first passenger to get to your destination. So if you are in a hurry, this might not be the best way to go. But if you don't mind taking a free ride through town, then it's okay.:D

• 8 years later...

Go to the East Coast Departure forum and there are many threads about just this topic.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=415

Quickly, do not use the super shuttle. They make many stops and may not go to the port as they are hotel centric.

Yellow Taxi (Medallion) cabs you can direct them not to take a toll crossing into Manhattan where car service (black car) you are not allowed to tell them the route as they are flat fee.

The two recommended car services are Dial 7 and Carmel Limo both have websites you can get an estimate. Always add a tip and toll.

Just wanted to clarify that the tunnel you pass through when crossing into Manhattan when from LGA is the Midtown tunnel (not the Lincoln, that carries passengers from New Jersey into Midtown Manhattan) and the toll is presently $8 not $2...passengers have to add it onto the taxi fare, as has been correctly stated. I entered the route in NYC taxi fare finder and it comes up with an "estimate" is $41.68 but that doesn't account for time of day so it's a good conservative estimate - ought not be much more... base fare will likely be less.

https://www.taxifarefinder.com/main.php?city=Jersey-City-NJ&from=LaGuardia+Airport%2C+NY%2C+United+States&to=Manhattan+Cruise+Terminal%2C+12th+Avenue%2C+New+York%2C+NY%2C+United+States

before toll and tip that seems about "right" if the traffic is OK - probably will be after 9-10 am on a weekday heading into Manhattan.

Private cabs (other than yellow cabs) are NOT permitted into the taxi queue at the airport and there is always someone at the head of the queue handing out the traveler information page, so you'll not have to worry about them trying to solicit you - the place to get a taxi is easy to see; if you are hailing one, likewise a sedan, private, unmarked taxi CAN NOT take street hails, ever. Only get into one with the rates, license number marked on the doors, light and license number mounted on top of the car.

(life long NYC resident :) )

Have a wonderful cruise