PEI-Help!

I am trying to decide between several tours on PEI. Can anyone help? We have never been to this port, and love scenery over history! Thanks!:

Panoramic Island Drive

Price:

$49.00

Est. Time:

4 hours

Discover the rolling hills and pastoral beauty of Prince Edward Island on a scenic drive along the beautiful southern shoreline of Canada's smallest and greenest province. Your first stop will be the quaint village of Victoria-by-the-Sea where you may visit a chocolate factory or shop for souvenirs. You'll continue to the base of the Confederation Bridge, once the world's longest multi-span structures that links the province with mainland Canada. Next there's an incredible photo op of the bridge from Borden-Carleton. On the return route to the ship you'll marvel at the sights: red soil, acres of potato fields, lush woods and some of the most beautiful golf courses in the world. Don't forget your camera!

Island Drive & Anne Of Green Gables

Price:

$49.00

Est. Time:

4 hours

Explore Canada's charming province, famous for red earth and white beaches. After a city tour of historic Charlottetown, the birthplace of Canada, you will exit the city. Pass by the areas of Ebenezer, Wheatley River and stop at the Prince Edward Island Preserves Company, where you can sample homemade island jams. The next stop is Cavendish, with ample time to visit the famous Anne of Green Gables homestead. On the National Park beaches, walk the boardwalk and view the beautiful scenery. At Rustico Harbour, a local fishing village, learn about the fishing industry of Prince Edward Island. Returning to Charlottetown, you will pass through pastoral farmland en-route to your ship.

The Island's Finest - Scenic Drive, Anne & Lobster

Price:

$112.00

Est. Time:

5 hours

The Island's north shore is most famous for its red cliffs, PEI National Park, Anne of Green Gables Homestead and delicious lobster. Enjoy lunch at the PEI Preserve Company, a converted 1912 butter factory showcasing some of the islands best products and preserves. Lunch is served up in one of Canada's prettiest little villages, overlooking the sparkling Clyde River. Your lunch will include fresh cooked lobster (or alternative), with traditional Island potato salad, coleslaw and choice of Island mussels or homemade soup. Hope you save room for their famous raspberry pie!

Island's Best Kept Secret

Price:

$79.00

Est. Time:

4 hours

Take a cruise on the beautiful Montague Heritage River, a great activity rain or shine. The boat is fully-equipped for comfort and safety with washrooms, full canopy and clear-view roll down sides. Visit harbor seals, playful pups and huge grey seals from under the watchful eyes of native sea birds. Be on the lookout for eagles and mussel farms as you cruise past historic sites on this fully narrated tour, complete with traditional recorded music. Watch the crew haul in real lobster traps as you learn about the local fishery and natural habitat. Enjoy complimentary famous blue mussels along with other onboard refreshments. Note: Participants must be able to board the boat on their own.

Well, all four will give you some lovely scenic views.

Take the frist one if all you really want is a nice scenic drive, the Confederation Bridge is amazing to see and Victoria by the Sea is a lovely quaint little village with a few shops.

Take the second one if you're an Anne of Green Gables fan.

Take the third one if you really want a lobster but be warned, our lobster is ten time better then caribbean lobster and will spoil you for anything else.

Take the fourth one if you like a little wildlife in your scenery. Mind you, there's hardly a day goes by that I don't catch a glimpse of a bald eagle or osprey on my way to or from work.

And just to add about the fourth one, PEI mussels are so good, worth taking this one just to get a taste of them, if you like shellfish that is.

Thanks, MonicaCD!

I have a few more questions: Is the north shore drive or the south shore drive more scenic? Is one more prone to fog than the other? Is the boardwalk a "must see" in October? How likely is it that the trip to see the seals would be covered in fog? Is fog more likely in the early morning or afternoon, since some of these tours are offered twice a day?

Is the north shore drive or the south shore drive more scenic?

Hmmmm, I guess if you made me choose, I'd have to say the north shore is more scenic, it is after all, the home of our one and only National Park. Red cliffs, white sand dunes and beaches and blue waters. Now having said that, there are things you'll see long the south shore you won't see along the north, the Confederation Bridge being one of them. Also, the north shore is more for tourists, the south more for Islanders, the beaches less crowded, less tacky tourist attractions and more just the natural Island shining through.

Is one more prone to fog than the other?

Unlike Saint John and Halifax, we don't get a lot of fog. We do on occasion get some inland, most mornings as I travel inland between Summerside and Charlottetown there is a wonderful mist that sits in the valleys that gives the place a mystical, ethereal look. The gulf stream travels by the north shore, warming the waters so I suppose technically the north should get less fog.

Is the boardwalk a "must see" in October?

You mean Cavendish Boardwalk? I don't figure it's a must see any time of year LOL. It's not on the beach. It's like any group of shops you'd find in any tourist area, souviniers, clothing, fast food. I would think most of the shops would be closed in October (most are staffed by students) but if they are open I guess you might get some good sales at that time of year. But anything you'd get there, could be found in the shops in Charlottetown and probably cheaper.

How likely is it that the trip to see the seals would be covered in fog?

See the answer to your first question. Hard to say but not too likely.

Is fog more likely in the early morning or afternoon, since some of these tours are offered twice a day?

Any fog we do get tends to burn off by mid morning.

A word of warning, don't want to rain on your parade but we're a temperate climate, weather here is very changeable. Like this past weekend it was cloudy with showers on and off all weekend with a couple thunderstorms thrown in. Today it poured rain and was foggy my whole trip to work and will probably continue that way all day, in fact I don't think we're supposed to see the sun for a few days. If we could arrange great weather for our tourists, we would, but not within our power I'm afraid.

October we generally get the most percipitation and it can be downright frosty most mornings, not uncommon to get a few snow flurries late in the month. I guess there's a reason why cruises that time of year are cheaper :p

Colleen,

As the "resident" expert, I hope you don't mind if I also jump in and ask a few questions. We are scheduled to be in Charlottetown, PEI on Sunday Aug 31st from 8am-3pm. My wife and I have not booked any excursions. We planned on primarily exploring on foot. Does this sound feasible, or would we be missing out by not taking a tour? We had thought about visiting Sandland, is that worthwhile? Planned to have lunch and enjoy some PEI mussels, and perhaps lobster.

What are you thoughts and recommendations on not booking an excursion? Any recommendations on a restaurant?

Thanks for any info?

Joe

Colleen,

As the "resident" expert, I hope you don't mind if I also jump in and ask a few questions. We are scheduled to be in Charlottetown, PEI on Sunday Aug 31st from 8am-3pm. My wife and I have not booked any excursions. We planned on primarily exploring on foot. Does this sound feasible, or would we be missing out by not taking a tour? We had thought about visiting Sandland, is that worthwhile? Planned to have lunch and enjoy some PEI mussels, and perhaps lobster.

What are you thoughts and recommendations on not booking an excursion? Any recommendations on a restaurant?

Thanks for any info?

Joe

Hi Joe, Glad to help.

If you’re like me and it’s all about the cruise vacation and not about the ports, then yes, exploring by foot will be just fine. Charlottetown is not a big city and you’ll be able to see quite a few things within walking distance of the pier but by no means all of the city.

Here’s a couple sites that will give you some attractions to visit right in the city. I haven’t visited Sandland myself but I caught a glimpse of a few of the sclptures and they look pretty cool. One of the recent visitors from cruise critic said "I went to SandLand, which was interesting enough for a quick stop."

http://www.walkandseacharlottetown.com/

http://www.city.charlottetown.pe.ca/visitors/attractions.cfm

The city double decker bus tours (available through the ship and otherwise) or walking tours would be great to take if you want to learn a bit about PEI and it's history then have time to wander around the city, walk along the harbourfront boardwalk or shop. There are quite a few shops right around the pier for souvenir shopping http://www.peakesquay.com/index.php

If, like some others, you like to see the most in the least amount of time or you’d like to just sit back and enjoy the view while getting a taste of the Island and learn something about PEI and it's history, I'd suggest the Panoramic Island Drive.

I haven’t been to either but I’ve heard from reliable sources that if you are looking for lobster or other seafood for lunch right in Charlottetown, there is Lobster on the Wharf Restaurant

http://www.lobsteronthewharf.com/ which is probably the closest to the Ship's dock (just in front of Founders Hall) a little fuhrter up on Prince street is the Water-Prince Corner Shop which also serves lobster dinners in the summer http://www.waterprincelobster.ca/ it's more of a diner type of restaurant but good food at good prices. I think you'd be safe with either place.

Colleen,

Thanks so much for the information. You have given us the insight to be confident that we don't need a shore excursion when in PEI. We may still decide to do that, though we may just spend the day exploring on our own, as the whole large bus thing has never been our style.

Thanks again,

Joe

• 3 weeks later...

I just returned from the Island. I spend quite a bit of time there every summer. I would have to agree that you can very comfortably walk around Charlottetown on your own. I would visit Founder's Hall, Beaconsfeld (a big beautiful home on the waterfront), Peake's Quay, and the shops around the Confederation center. There are also guided walking tours and a duck tour. These are both lots of fun. I would also suggest having a wonderful lobster for lunch. I wish I was back there!

• 2 weeks later...

We just returned from Canada aboard the Maasdam and booked all our own excursions thanks to cruise critic.

In Charlottestown we had read of Billy, a tour operator that will customize a tour of PEI for you. When the ship pulled in to PEI I ran for the taxi stand hoping to find Billy. My family thought I was looking for a needle in a haystack but I quickly found him and reserved him for the day. He was so excited to see the posting about him that I had printed from CruiseCritic.

We had 9 in our group so we split into 2 groups and Billy arranged for his buddy Harry to drive the other half. Billy and Harry coordinated the tour so we arrived together at all the major sites.

The price was $50 per hour per minivan. Considering the amount of ground we covered and the personalized service, it was a a bargain. I'd highly recommend Billy and Harry for your next visit to PEI.

Print off this message and tell him he's become a legend on CC!!! :D

Archived