Market in Progresso

I dont remember seeing persons, but there were good prices on pearls and other handmade jewlery, mexican blankets, dresses and clothing. stuff like that, most was handmade, i didnt buy a lot of jewlery cause we were going to cozumel the next day, i ended up wishing i bought more cause prices were so good there on some things. i do love the pearls that i bought. I enjoyed my time there. it is way more authentic in the area than any of the other ports we have been to;) Have FUN!!

In Progreso, you'll find beautiful, handmade purses of henequen, the famous local material: http://www.yucatantoday.com/culture/eng-henequen-yucatan.htm

You'll also find authentic Mexican blouses and dresses, hand-carved wooden masks and sculptures, hammocks, and many crafts made out of shells.

Read more about our local souvenirs here: http://www.yucatantoday.com/culture/eng-souvenirs-yucatan.htm

I have a greater appreciation for the items I brought back from Progresso than anywhere else. The community was genuine. The people were genuine. I felt like I had truly visited a more natural culture in Progresso than Cozumel.

I would definately recommend the natural and hand made items in Progresso!

The market in Progreso was very reasonable. We looked around and planned what we would buy when our tour to Merida returned as we didn't want to carry stuff with us.

What's that old saying about 'the best laid plans'? Our tour ran over and we were dropped back at the ship. We found the prices in Cozumel the next day to be much higher.

One example: T-shirt vendors in Progreso were selling all and any at 6 for $20 and had some very nice ones. In Cozumel (in that new port area where we docked) we found one shop selling a very small portion of theirs at 4 for $20 and pickings were slim to say the least. MUCH higher prices in general in Cozumel.

Archived