Snorkeling???

BrownBearBread

How clear are the waters right off the beaches in Progesso?

Is there anything there to look at under water or is it just sand?

Just would like a heads up if it's worth dragging my fins & my mask to port with me, Thanks.

Dont bother, honestly, unless you want to see the Ruins or drive to Merida for shopping this port is not worth stopping at.

I was on the dreaded 12/18 cruise to Cozumel that switched our port to this dump. We didnt even get off the ship! We know about the Ruins and my hubby didnt want to hold up the crowd due to his disability so we just stayed on the boat.

For the life of me I cannot figger out why and/or who built that 4 mile long pier to a place that is so underdeveloped and has so little to do. I strongly suspect the port fees are much less so when Carnival makes their subisutition to this port they save big bucks.

The beach is very similar to Galveston except you will have natives stopping you every 5 minutes to sell you a wooden snake or a fan.

Sorry to be so blunt, its the truth though.

Quote: We didnt even get off the ship!

But you sound so knowlegeable.

The reason for the 4.5 mile pier is that the Yucatan sits on a massive limestone shelf. Progreso is the principle shipping port for the Yucatan State and the depth of the water is too shallow close to shore for ocean shipping. Therefore, one of the longest piers in the world. It's also a fishing village. Very, very fresh fish in the restaurants.

Quote: so underdeveloped and has so little to do

I think that Progreso actually offers more options for your day than most ports. Major, moderate and minor Mayan ruins including one that was recently placed on the new wonders of the world list. A very nice all-inclusive resort for a full cost of $45 including transportation. A beautiful old Spanish colonial city of one million and is the state capitol and home to four universitys and the site of the oldest Cathedral of the Americas, circa 1561. Beautiful plazas, friendly and warm people and lots of interesting archetecture. Good food, good beer and excellent coffee. Fifty minute carriage rides for $20 out to the upscale, European style Paseo Montejo blvd. Modern and reliable bus service from Progreso for $3.00 pp RT. Progreso has a nice long and wide beach with plenty of very good restaurants along the Malecon (seaside street) that will serve you on the beach. The beach, on the Gulf, is not suitable for snorkling since the water is not like that of the Caribbean. $20.00 massages on the beach. There are tours to visit the sites of the Flamingos and the cenotes.

The Yucatan is authentic Mexico. No phony glitz like Cancun, Cozumel or bordertowns. No Carlos and Charlys or the like. Yes, there are street/beach vendors. They are only trying to provide for their families and if that were the only way, I would do the same for my family.

After two port calls to Progreso sailing with Celebrity, I've now been back for three two week land vacations and hope to return again this year.

As I said, lots of options for your day.

Checkout http://www.yucatantoday.com probably the best visitor's guide I've seen for any destination.

we will not even bother bringing our gear to port for that.

Wife and I plan on snorkeling in the cenote on the Dx tour. Supposedly CLEAR water with lots of life to see. So we will be bringing our gear, but only for that, not for the gulf.

Go Cats

How clear are the waters right off the beaches in Progesso?

Is there anything there to look at under water or is it just sand?

Just would like a heads up if it's worth dragging my fins & my mask to port with me, Thanks.

The water is not very clear and I would not bother bringing the gear, unless, like the above poster, you were going to one of the cenotes. But, Progreso is beautiful and very relaxed. My favorite thing about this port is that I don't have to have some plan or excursion to make sure I can do something. We're stopping in Cozumel also, and I had to make reservations 4 months ago to make sure to get into the place I wanted. In Progreso, we'll just meander around and, eventually, end up on the beach in front of a restaurant. We'll eat, drink and enjoy the ocean. Next time, I want to see the cenotes, but not this time! :)

Archived