Where to purchase Mexican Vanilla?

PlumpGal

Does anyone know where I can purchase Mexican Vanilla either in

Progresso or Cozumel? My boss bought all of us some several years

ago. I made chocolate cake with chocolate icing and put a bit in

each. Everyone said it made my cakes taste sooooooo much better

than the kind I had bought in the states.

(I wonder why? Is their's stronger?)

The last few times we were in Cozumel you could get Mexican Vanilla in just about every gift shop you went into. I always buy a couple of bottles. Try a few drops next time you make pancake batter or french toast egg mixture -YUM!!!!

I beleive the difference might be on the chemicals to preserve the vanilla, you can find a good quality vanilla in Mexico. The cheaper is on the supermarkets by the spices areas.

To describe the vanilla my boss gave us: it was bottled in aprox. 1.5 liter or 2 liter bottle. Just looking at my desk across the office, I first thought it was a bottle of liquor...MUCH larger than the tiny bottles of McCormick in the States.

They were in the duty free store in Cozumel and they were large bottles and they cost $5 American !! One broke in my luggage on the way home and stained alot of my clothing ....so pack carefully ...I recommend a ziplock bag and bubble wrap !!!

Thanks for the tip!

• 1 month later...

There are a number of boutiques on Calle 80, the main road to the beach, that sell Mexican vanilla extract. Be sure to get 100% vanilla - no coumarin. Mexican vanilla is better as it is 100% vanilla extract, the majority in the States is "vanilla flavored".

I didnt even think about buying vanilla!!!! I 100% agree that the mexican kind is waaay better than the stuff you buy here. Mom brought me some home from a trip, and so did my grandmother. Im set, till at least next March, whooo hoooo! Now I have the urge to bake!;)

• 5 weeks later...

I bought numerous small bottles of the vanilla in December when we went. It is wonderful! They also made great Christmas gifts... I used the small bottles as stocking stuffers for my mom and sister. I think you can find it just about anywhere. I will definately be buying more this year when I go. Cheap, cheap, cheap. I don't remember about the vanilla in particular but I do know that some things were a lot cheaper in Merida than they were in Cozumel.

I bought mine at los cincos sols in progresso. you have to walk through there on your way to and from the bus so it is not out of your way. there are several places in progresso and cozumel to buy it. just ask them to smell it and decide what you like. the kind from los cincos sol smells kind of like cake batter. it sure does make my home made ice cream taste alot better. i wish i would have bought a big bottle instead of a small one though.

Archived